Powered by ® Forum Software © phpBB Group  
Everything Atkins  

• Search
  • Home
  • Atkins Phases
  • Atkins Sample Menus

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2008 1:45 pm 
Frequent Contributor

I just got some of this Erythritol, which is a natural sweetener that resembles sugar in consistency and taste. It is actually a sugar alcohol, but it doesn't have the bad tummy effects of the others like maltitol. Since it is a sugar alcohol it is zero carb and zero calorie. I haven't even opened up the bag yet, so I have no idea what it even tastes like.

Anyhow, I was just wondering if anybody uses this, or if you use it in combination with another sweetener. I've read that some people mix different sweeteners together when baking.

Char, I think it was you that does this?

I was going to make a s/f cheesecake with splenda, but I forgot to pick up another bag. I only have about 1 cup of splenda left, and then this erythritol stuff. Should I mix them together, or should I just use all erythritol?

Thanks in advance. :D

Started Atkins June/03.
264/180 Goal Aug/08.

One Day At A Time
Don't trade what you want most for what you want right now!

Last edited by coasty on Mon Jun 02, 2008 8:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2008 1:58 pm 
Active Contributor

Hi Coasty, :D

How is the weather way up north this time of year? Beautiful?

It is nice here today. I watered our two pepper plants and two tomato plants early this morning.

I am sure that Char will be along, but I too remember that it was Mrs. Charski that used a combo of sf sweetners including Erythritol. If she doesn't log on soon or reply do a search on sweetner combos with Charski's name. :wink: Maybe it will pull up the post where she talked about using the combos.

Now, where is she? Probably out having a beautiful day...I hope. Nice weather down there Char?

sz26-sz16[b]wgt 271.5 - 197lbs
1/03 -5/08 = 78lbs gone for good!
Slow n' Steady Wins The Race
“All things are possible once enough human beings realize that everything is at stake.” –Norman Cousins

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2008 2:02 pm 
Active Contributor

Hi again, :D

Here's a quicky post from Char to Teecah for you.

http://everythingatkins.net/bbs/viewtopic.php?t=35882&highlight=erythritol+combo%2A

HTH!

Love ya,
Lindy

“All things are possible once enough human beings realize that everything is at stake.” –Norman Cousins

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2008 8:33 pm 
Frequent Contributor

Thanks Lindy. It's beautiful up north. Went on a hike today to a volcano, my first! It was awesome!

I'm about to make that cheesecake. Googling like mad about erythritol. I read on one site that you can use it up to 10%, but I'm not sure what that means. I'm going to continue reading. I only have about one cup of splenda left if I'm lucky, so I could go half and half at least. But, I kinda wanna know if I can just make it with 100% erythritol. Back to google.

Char!!! Where are you!!??? LOL!

Started Atkins June/03.
264/180 Goal Aug/08.

One Day At A Time

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2008 9:30 pm 
Frequent Contributor

Okay, so I baked the cheesecake. It turned out really good! I do notice the cooling effect I've read about, but it doesn't bother me. I can see it grossing me out if I was eating something that is still warm and it instantly goes cold in your mouth. That is what some others have described and it turned them off. It is also not supposed to be good with chocolate and coffee flavour together, ie. mocha. But, is supposed to be really good with fruit flavoured things. Anyhow, it worked with the cheesecake and I'm happy. :D

Started Atkins June/03.
264/180 Goal Aug/08.

One Day At A Time

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2008 9:37 pm 
Frequent Contributor

So, it cools quickly?

2008 - 221 to 205
2009 205/201/150

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2008 6:46 pm 
Frequent Contributor

Ya, kinda like that gum that makes your mouth feel all cold, but without the minty taste. Kinda weird, and it is starting to bug me a little. :(

Started Atkins June/03.
264/180 Goal Aug/08.

One Day At A Time

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2008 7:04 pm 
Frequent Contributor

Sounds a little weird. Wonder where Char has been?

2008 - 221 to 205
2009 205/201/150

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2008 11:47 am 
Active Contributor

Location: NE Ohio- it's not lake effect snow season here - YAY!
Char is dealing with some issues with her mom right now... but she'll be back. :D

Started 10/28/07

198, 192 after induction, currently 185 as of 9-15-09, it was down to 176 and will get there again! Goal - 165

198 197 196 195 194 193 192 191 190 189 188 187 186 185 184 183 182 181 180 179 178 177 176 175 174 173 172 171 170 169 168 167 166 165

54 yrs old, 6'2", eyes of blue...

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2008 1:32 pm 
Active Contributor

Hi LBJ! Thank you so much for the Char update. I must say that I was beginning to wonder myself and when I say wonder...I mean worry. :oops:

((((((CHARSKI)))))) :cry: Be your strong self friend. I am praying and sending strength you way CHARSKI in a bundle load!!

It a difficult time for many people of all walks of life I am hearing everywhere I turn and everywhere I have been to most recently. Then I turn on the TV and see much more of the same. Sadness, disasters, everywhere! :cry:

I am dealing with some "onset" issues (symptoms) with my mother right now too. It is extremely difficult if you are all alone in the dealings, which I am time being.

DH doesn't "get involved" (cope) with anyone's illness or ill relatives...not in a nice manner anyway. :cry: :-k Scary future I as I look down the road. I have M.S....M.S. does not have me! :wink:

Big Hugs, and Much Love To All,
Lindy

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2008 4:45 pm 
Frequent Contributor

((((Charski))))) My thoughts and prayers are with you and your family.

Started Atkins June/03.
264/180 Goal Aug/08.

One Day At A Time

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2008 10:32 pm 
Frequent Contributor

Hi, and thanks, you guys! It means a lot to know you're thinking of me! And thanks to LJ for "finding" me - I HAVE been lurking just not posting much.

My Mom has 3 compression fractures in her spine due to osteoporosis. She started out about a year ago with 1; six months ago, another xray showed another; and now, the 3rd.

In addition, she has problems from 60 years of smoking and a possible tumor on a gland. Right now she is in considerable pain and pretty much confined to bed. We got a hospital bed delivered for her this last Monday and that seems to help.

She is 77 and has always been pretty active and alert but to see her down and out is scary, and I am the sole caregiver right now because I retired a year ago. I fear that before long we will need to get some outside help though - she really has very little stamina and we have to use a wheelchair for her - getting her into and out of the shower is a major undertaking!

So continued good thoughts and prayers if you're so inclined are very much appreciated.

As for the erythritol, I love it because it adds that bulk of sugar, but I always mix it with another sweetener, usually a little stevia and some liquid Splenda, for the syngergistic effect and to lessen that cooling thing that happens! Some things you just don't WANT that "menthol effect!" LOL! It's only 70 to 80% as sweet as sugar so if a recipe calls for a cup of sugar or Splenda, I will usually use 3/4 cup erythritol and 1/2 cup equivalent of liquid Splenda, or 1/4 cup equivalent and a couple packets of SteviaPlus.

Give it a try that way and see if it helps. Honestly I've not made a cheesecake with it though, I've always just used liquid Splenda for that because the cream cheese is bulky enough on its own to not need the extra boost from the erythritol!

I reject your reality and substitute my own. --Adam on Mythbusters

2 7 10 16 31 12

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2008 5:12 pm 
Active Contributor

Charski,
I've been thinking of you so much. You sure have a lot going on. I'm so sorry for your mom's illness. I can relate. It's very tough. Have you been able to get help yet? How are you holding up?
Well, I just wanted you to know that your mom and you have been in my prayers, and I understand needing to just lurk. Please check in with us when you're able.
Hugs,
Sammy

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2008 8:43 pm 
Active Contributor

Charski,

I am sorry to hear of your mother's condition, too. God help you both and especially with finding that special help you need to share the load.

She is so blessed to have you in her life right now.

I pray the Lord will give you some really good moments in the midst of the hard ones. You will always remember those and know you did a lot for her.

Praying for you,
Julianne

I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made; your works are wonderful, I know that full well. Psalm 139:14

March 2003

195-185-165

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2009 11:41 pm 

Thanks for taking the time to help, I really apprciate it.