Everything Atkins  

• Search
  • Home
  • Atkins Phases
  • Atkins Sample Menus

Post subject: Garlic
PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2009 3:50 pm 
Active Contributor

I have been getting a bunch of garlic from our farm share - and wondering if anyone has a good recipe that uses garlic. i have 3 heads that I don't want to go to waste. Thanks in advanvce

Back to natural foods!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2009 4:21 pm 
Frequent Contributor

I don't have a real recipe as I always just make this by looks...

Cut the top off the whole head of garlic and roast it in the oven. Then squish out the garlic mush. Mix it with some butter and you have a great flavored topping for steaks and burgers.

Once you have made up the garlic butter, you can put it in some plastic wrap and roll it into a log. Put it into the freezer and it will keep about 6 months. You can just slice it off as needed with a hot knife.

exercise is NOT AN OPTION

"Muscle is hard to get and easy to lose.
Fat is easy to get and hard to lose."

F54 5'4" 163/150/130

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2009 5:05 pm 
Frequent Contributor

You can also peel the whole cloves and freeze them.

I love pesto - and like Patty I don't measure - but I put a washed bunch of basil in the food processor, about 6 cloves of garlic (or more!), some grated Parm cheese (the fresh kind gives the best flavor) and whir it up til it's all finely chopped - then drizzle in extra-virgin olive oil til it makes a nice paste. You can add pine nuts (or really any kind of nuts) and a pinch of salt to it, or freshly ground pepper, red pepper flakes, whatever you like.

It's nice on any veggies, on top of steak, or on top of "zoodles" or Dreamfields pasta.

I reject your reality and substitute my own. --Adam on Mythbusters

2 7 10 16 31 12

Post subject: .
PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2009 6:47 pm 
Frequent Contributor

Oh that sounds so good. YUM YUM. I am totally making that.

Amy

First try 262/169

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2009 4:30 pm 
Frequent Contributor

I just made a roasted garlic guacamole - easy! Cut the top off the head of garlic, drizzle with olive oil, wrap loosely in foil and bake at 350* til the garlic is all soft, about 45 minutes to an hour. Let cool.

Squeeze the garlic out of 6 of the largest cloves, onto a chopping board. Use the side of your knife to squish it into a paste. Scrape that up and put into a bowl.

Peel, pit, and cut into large dice 5 ripe avocados. Add to the garlic. Add about 1/3 cup (or to taste) chopped cilantro, the juice of 2 limes, and a couple dashes Worcestershire sauce, plus a shake of chili powder; mix all together well, don't totally smoosh all the avocado though, you want it a bit chunky. Taste and add salt if needed (mine needed it) and serve with veggie scoopers or as a side to a Mexican dinner.

I reject your reality and substitute my own. --Adam on Mythbusters

2 7 10 16 31 12

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2009 6:42 pm 
Frequent Contributor

Here is one of our favorite garlic recipes. We eat this at gatherings in the winter. It's a big hit in our area.

Bagna Calda

Ingredients
1/4 pound butter
1 to 1-1/2 cup olive oil
1 to 2 cans anchovy fillets
8-10 cloves chopped garlic
Whole cream (optional)
Dipping Foods

Bite size fresh vegetables (broccoli, celery, cauliflower, lettuce, cabbage, zucchini, etc.)
Can also serve with Italian crusty bread in chunks-Not Atkins friendly with bread

Preparation
In large skillet combine all ingredients except cream. Cook for 5 minutes on med/low until the anchovies have disintegrated. Raise heat and cook until bubbling, then simmer to keep hot. Some like it with just the oil base, others like it with the heavy cream added. Serve as a hot dip with the items listed for dipping, or any breads or vegetables of your liking. Enjoy! Makes approximately 2 cups of hot dip.

We also like garlic salads.

Put lettuce in a large bowl with room for tossing. Add as many cloves of crushed garlic as you like. I use about 3-4 for half head of lettuce. Add oil, toss. Add salt, toss. Add wine vinegar and toss again. Taste and adjust seasoning. Please follow exact steps for best results. We love this salad with grated blue cheese on top. So simple but if you like garlic you'll be hooked on this salad.

Restarted January 5 2009