Powered by ® Forum Software © phpBB Group  
Everything Atkins  

• Search
  • Home
  • Atkins Phases
  • Atkins Sample Menus

Post subject: Newbie!
PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2010 11:17 pm 

Hi there everyone ! I have been advised by my doctor to go on the Atkins diet and I find it fasinating but i don't know where to start! I need to try and clear my fridge and pantry of all those bad carbs, before I embark on this diet! Now should I try and use up most of the stuff or just give it away and start afresh?

My next question is Do I need to stick to the induction plan, I mean 1 plan I saw called for a Basque Omlette, Can I just stick with a regular omlette , you know eggs only, with maybe turkey sausages on the side ? The other thing is can I eat the same kind of omelette for breakfast everyday or does the variety of breakfasts make a difference? I know I might get bored with eggs every day!

If the dinner calls for veal can I change it and eat pork or beef instead? I would be really pleased with any advice any of you good people can give me and I look forward to hearing from someone real soon!

Oh 1 more question please, where can I purchase the bake mix? I live in California, and wonder if any of the stores like Safeway would sell this bake mix?

Thank you so much for your tolerance and patience! :D

Post subject: Re: Newbie!
PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2010 7:02 am 
Frequent Contributor

Welcome.

That is wonderful your doctor has directed you to follow the Atkin's plan. I find it a very satisfying way to eat. You might want to get the older paperback version of the Dr Atkins New Diet Revolution and read it before embarking on this way of eating. It will fully explain the plan and you will have a better idea of what you can and cannot have.

You can eat eggs everyday. You can make that omelet anyway you would like as long as you make it with meats with no carbs or sugars, check the label. Breakfast meats often contain sugar, fructose, etc. You have to become a diligent label reader. You may also subsitute pork, beef, fish, etc for the veal. As for the bake mix most here agree, that is for later stages of this way of eating. I don't buy it as many of those products contain soy and I have a thyroid condition and I have read soy is not good for they thyroid.

Please get a copy of the book if you don't and read it. We find it makes a world of difference for everyone.

Restarted January 5 2009

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2010 7:51 am 
Frequent Contributor

Welcome.

I'm curious where you saw that information about Atkins. It doesn't sound like any Atkins plan I've ever seen. Is it something your doctor gave you?

You need to find out more about Atkins. We have a forum on this site called "Atkins Diet FAQs and Informative Posts. It has a lot of good information. The book would be best, but most of us prefer the older versions. A new version is out that doesn't sound much like the Atkins we know and love either.

To get you started, you need to limit yourself to 20 carbs per day, but from allowable sources. You can eat just about any meat in any quantity at any time. Eggs have 1 carb each so they need to be counted. Cheese has about 1 carb per ounce, and it is recommended that you eat no more than 4 oz. per day. For the induction period you are allowed 2 cups of salad and 1 cup of the vegetables on the "allowed" list. You'd be surprised what isn't allowed. Peas, corn, lima beans, and other healthy vegetables are NOT allowed because they are high in carbs. Of course, flour, grain and sugar is also NOT allowed.

Please let us know if you have questions. It sounds like Atkins is something you need and we'd be happy to help.

234.5/*219.2/212/149 (Low was 168.5) 64, 5"1"
DH 221/*211/205/?? 66, 5'10"
* As of 7/1/2011, we first started 8/23/03

"What would Jimmy Buffet Do?"
Search for "gooch47" to view my videos on www.youtube.com

PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2010 10:19 am 

I'm going to ask my question about salad here since it seems to fit in...

Do I 'pack' lettuce into one cup? Seems like a few leaves would be a cup if you didn't pack it (can you tell I like my salad???

Thanks so much!

PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2010 10:52 am 
Frequent Contributor

I don't think anyone ever got really fat eating too much salad. I'd take a couple of hand-fulls and call it 2 cups.

234.5/*219.2/212/149 (Low was 168.5) 64, 5"1"
DH 221/*211/205/?? 66, 5'10"
* As of 7/1/2011, we first started 8/23/03

"What would Jimmy Buffet Do?"
Search for "gooch47" to view my videos on www.youtube.com

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2010 7:18 am 
Frequent Contributor

DRINK LOTS AND LOTS AND LOTS OF WATER EVERY DAY....

As of August 2008 ~ 215
Went up to 245 (lost control)
As of January 2011 weight is 222......
As of June 2011 weight ie 216... Total loss 142 pounds
Age 70 & (old enough to know better) ---

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2010 10:52 am 
Frequent Contributor

Ceegee, in his original 1972 book, Dr. A considered the first week when you have only lettuce for your veggie to be "biologically zero" carbs, so he basically considered the lettuce to be a nonentity in the carb department. I think it's just there to keep you from screaming at the sight of another pork chop! Ha!

Anyway, unless you are consuming bushels of lettuce a day, I personally would not worry much about measuring the salad. Eat a reasonable sized salad and don't worry about it.

(With that said, I have run into a few people through the years who insist that lettuce stalls them, so as with everything on this diet, you have to carefully observe what works for you and what doesn't!)

Loading 7/11-12, total lost: 24.6 pounds so far! (224/165/165)