Powered by ® Forum Software © phpBB Group  
Everything Atkins  

• Search
  • Home
  • Atkins Phases
  • Atkins Sample Menus

PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2010 7:47 pm 
Active Contributor

I heard about a receipe similar to this on the radio and I never ever thought to prepare a fresh pumpkin this way. I avoid buying the fresh ones because, although once I read a recipe for pumpkin soup, the main things I know to do with pumpkins are pie, custards, and breads. This recipe is so simple. On the radio they said to put a little cinnamon and sugar on them while they bake (substitute Splenda of course). They also mentioned that once the squares are baked, instead of only eating them from the shell you can also scoop out the pulp from some squares for other dishes. Cut and paste follows:

Find the freshest pumpkin you can from a genuine pumpkin patch or farmer's market and whip up a side dish with this simple baked pumpkin recipe. [I THINK THIS HAS TO BE THE SMALL SUGAR PUMPKINS, NOT THE LARGE JACK O LANTERN PUMPKINS WHICH ARE VERY STRINGY]

1) Cut the pumpkin into serving-sized squares and arrange on a cookie sheet and bake at about 350° until they're tender and lightly browned.
2) Add optional seasonings such as chopped onions and peppers, bacon bits, chives, honey, brown sugar and sour cream. [I PRESUME YOU ADD THESE BEFORE BAKING, EXCEPT SOUR CREAM??]
3) Melt butter on them while they're still hot and voila, a yummy addition to any meal!

edo, ergo, sum