Powered by ® Forum Software © phpBB Group  
Everything Atkins  

• Search
  • Home
  • Atkins Phases
  • Atkins Sample Menus

Post subject: Splenda is bad for you!
PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2004 6:05 am 

I don't know how to put the article on here, but you can go to and read about it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2004 1:51 pm 
Active Contributor

Quote:
Splenda Compared to a “Biochemical Warfare Agent”--See One Woman’s Shocking Photos

Dr. Mercola's Comment:

If you are using Splenda (the brand name for sucralose) because you think it is a safe alternative to sugar or other artificial sweeteners, then you may be in for a surprise. Splenda is not healthy and it can cause many problems in the body.

Over three years ago I posted an article describing the dangers of Splenda, and, fortunately, it appears that more and more people are finally realizing the hazards that this “healthy” sweetener poses. There is still a long way to go toward educating the public about the health complications this sweetener is capable of causing, however.

Splenda is far from healthy and I do not recommend using it in any form. Why not use Splenda? Well, research in animals has shown that sucralose can cause many problems such as:

Shrunken thymus glands (up to 40 percent shrinkage)
Enlarged liver and kidneys
Atrophy of lymph follicles in the spleen and thymus
Increased cecal weight
Reduced growth rate
Decreased red blood cell count
Hyperplasia of the pelvis
Extension of the pregnancy period
Aborted pregnancy
Decreased fetal body weights and placental weights
Diarrhea
But perhaps the most revealing and powerful way to learn the dangerous truth about Splenda is to read someone’s personal experience with it.

Nearly every month we receive a report from someone who has had an adverse reaction to Splenda, and after you read through the story below you can read the many others posted on our site.

The following story provides a revealing testimony to the dramatic effects Splenda can have on an otherwise healthy person.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Contributed by Lori Hunt, RPh
Pickens, SC

Dear Dr. Mercola,

I want to thank you for your Web site and especially for your documentation on the dangers of Splenda. I also want to pass on this testimonial in the hope it may help others.

Last evening after dinner I began to feel flush. My husband commented how red my face was getting and, sure enough, one glance in the mirror confirmed a bright red, tight, shiny visage staring back at me. In the next few hours my eyes began to swell. I went to bed hoping I could “sleep it off.” How wrong I was.

This morning I got up and my face was still red, bright and swollen with puffy eyes. I am a pharmacist and I have seen many anaphylactoid (allergic) reactions before. I began to feel concerned that I too was having one. I have had only one other reaction like this before in my life--to Bactrim.

I went out for my usual morning run but by the first quarter mile I could barely breathe so I walked slowly back to the house. My right shoulder was burning so I went to the mirror and was horrified to find a HUGE 6 inch by 3 inch welt at the base of my neck (see photo).

I also felt very panicky and shaky and immediately had two bouts of diarrhea in rapid succession. After 15 minutes and a cool shower on tissue that looked scalded, I was having difficulty breathing. I was seen in the local emergency room where the physician immediately gave me a dexamethasone injection in the hip and a prescription for Epi-pen and oral prednisone over four days.

At the time I didn’t know why I looked like I had ingested a sulfa drug. My husband and I tried to figure out what was different in my life over the last 12 hours. Laundry soap? Nope. Cake? Animal dander? No and no. A dear friend came to visit me in my misery and mentioned that I had started to flush at church, several hours before dinner.

I remembered that I had had a cup of coffee and had tried the new creamer sitting by the pot. I remembered the Splenda label on it, which prompted my husband and I to search the Web and we found your site.

The description by Marcia in the testimonial area caused me to burst into tears. Yes, Marcia, there are others like you. I am throwing that stuff out when I get to church! This reaction that I have had looks like a drug reaction! I am appalled an “artificial sweetener” did this to me.

Twelve hours after treatment my eyes are no longer swollen and my face is no longer red, but my neck welt is the same size, same redness and as tender as a sunburn. There are a few blisters in the welt. Even after treatment it still looks this bad! Perhaps the manufacturer of Splenda can sell it as a biochemical warfare agent after it is removed from the market as a food additive.

Thanks for getting the word out!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2004 1:02 pm 
sounds like urban legend to me

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2004 6:58 pm 

There are people allergic to all sorts of things. We all need to be wary when trying anything new - especially if we've had an allergic reation to something else in the past.

Cynthia

and again Oct./09
180/163/147

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2004 7:47 pm 
Splenda is just like any other product out there. There will be people who cannot tolerate it. That doesn't mean it should be banned for the general public who can tolerate it.

Betty

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2004 7:15 pm 
Active Contributor

My mom read the article and said she was going to stop using splenda. I pointed out she had been using splenda with no reaction.

In general, my belief is that we shouldn't eat too much of any artificial sweetener. We split our AS between splenda, stevia, saccharin, and occasional aspartame(pre-sweetened products). Although I suppose the interaction of several might be worse than a concentration of any one. :shock:

It is important to note that some people do have bad reactions and we should not serve splenda sweetened food to people without letting them know what's in it.

Recent commercials have been promoting splenda for kids. That makes me nervous.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2004 9:00 am 

Someone had a reaction and therefore we are all supposed to react? People die from eating peanuts and getting stung by bees, but I don't hear the public outcry. Remember when saccharin was suppoed to cause cancer and become the downfall of civilization? It turned out that was false as well.

Why is America overweight? You can walk into most gas stations in America and see a million calories of processed sugar on every shelf!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2004 10:47 am 

Does anyone place any kind of stock in what this man says? Wherever there are negative words regarding Splenda on the Internet, his name & only his name always pops up. (Vested interest?) I've gotten random e-mails a few times referencing his website & warning me of "the dangers of Splenda." When I reply with reasons, stats, & facts on exactly why his writings on the issue has holes, they all get extremely, almost bizarrely defensive & start reminding me that he's a doctor & that Splenda's out to get us. My husband is, too - so what? That doesn't make him a huge expert on nutrition.

I draw no conclusions from the above, but I just find it all too funny. lol
Sheila

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2004 4:54 am 
Frequent Contributor

He's a lowcarb advocate. I ordered his No-Grain book from the library to see what he's all about.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2004 8:27 am 
I subscribed to his newsletters in the past, but he warns about the craziest things and, like this story, they often seem to be urban legend type stories. He supports the theory that aspartame becomes formaldehyde if it reaches a certain temperature and that one is a known urban legend! Another one of his claims is that canola oil was invented by the Canadian govt. and is deadly instead of healthy. He also uses his website to promote his own diet, (much like Dr. Atkins' diet, but with some strange twists, like gradually eliminate all nuts except walnuts, use fish oil instead of eating fish and if you must take a vitamin supplement, use my "Living Fuel") as well as something he calls EFT, which he describes as "psychological accupressure," he claims it helps people "instill positive emotion" in themselves.

My opinion, after receiving his weekly newsletters for nearly a year, is that he takes information from studies that are published in medical journals and applies it to fit his own ideas, sort of like you can make the Bible support a lot of non-Christian theories if you take verses out of context. I unsubscribed a while back, too many of his articles were crackpot material!

Debbie

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2004 4:46 am 
Frequent Contributor

I got his book and while his diet seems healthy, it is confusing. I wouldn't be able to follow it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2004 3:56 pm 

After reading CeeCee's post today on the Atkins board about her bad reaction, I think it's a good thing to be aware of.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2004 4:00 pm 

sugarless4life wrote:
Splenda is just like any other product out there. There will be people who cannot tolerate it. That doesn't mean it should be banned for the general public who can tolerate it.

Betty

THANK YOU. Just like some schools banning peanut butter from the cafeteria because one or two kids are allergic to peanuts. Nonsense.

It's not what you're eating, it's what's eating you.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2004 5:02 pm 
Frequent Contributor

I know banning peanut butter altogether is going a little far, but we have a friend who's adult child still gets sick (Emergency Room visit sick) just smelling peanuts. So these violent allergies do exist. They can't take anything home that has any kind of nuts in it.

234.5/*219.2/212/149 (Low was 168.5) 64, 5"1"
DH 221/*211/205/?? 66, 5'10"
* As of 7/1/2011, we first started 8/23/03

"What would Jimmy Buffet Do?"
Search for "gooch47" to view my videos on www.youtube.com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2004 6:26 pm 

gooch wrote:
I know banning peanut butter altogether is going a little far, but we have a friend who's adult child still gets sick (Emergency Room visit sick) just smelling peanuts. So these violent allergies do exist. They can't take anything home that has any kind of nuts in it.

I'm sorry for the guy, but rather than the world adapting to them, they ought to adapt to the world. Should baseball parks ban peanut sales? Should grocery stores stop roasting peanuts on the premises? Should a peanut allergic person sue for discrimination if they apply to a peanut processing plant and get turned down because of their allergy?

I implore you to read this column by Dennis Prager:

Here's a sample: "The fact is that there is an antidote to peanut poisoning that every school can easily administer. The fact is that banning peanuts actually makes schools less safe for nut-allergic students, since they then let their guard down and think they can eat other students' food. And reason suggests that if we ban peanuts, we should also ban school picnics to protect those who can die from bee stings."

It's not what you're eating, it's what's eating you.