Everything Atkins  

• Search
  • Home
  • Atkins Phases
  • Atkins Sample Menus

Post subject: yeast
PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2005 6:40 pm 
Active Contributor

I think I may have the yeast issue. does anyone have an article about how to get rid of it?

183 Hit on 10-22-05
stgw 200 hit on 8-13-04
01/2011 Sadly back to 215
ltgw 165
lltgw 155
I AM A SUCCESS STORY AND
I WILL NOT BE ONE OF THE STATISTICS!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2005 10:43 am 

Here's some stuff I found but I recommend going to the Dr.

Treatment

Various anti-fungal vaginal medications are available to treat yeast infection in the form of:

anti-fungal creams
anti-fungal suppositories
anti-fungal tablets
These include:

Butoconazole
Clotrimazole (Mycelex-7)
Diflucan
Gyne-Lotrimi
Miconazole
Monista
Nizoral
Nystatint
Sporanox
Terazol
Tioconazole
Vagistat
Yeast No More
Regimen

Use 1-2 times a day for up to 7 days
Symptoms helped within 3-4 days of treatment
Continue treatment for the entire course even if symptoms have ceased
Do not use any of the above products without seeing a doctor or health professional if you:

are a female under the age of 12
are not sure that your problem is a yeast infection
are nursing a baby
are pregnant
are sensitive/allergic to any of the ingredients in Mycelex-7 or to any other Mycelex product
have never had a yeast infection before
Caution

Mycelex-7:

and all other medications should be kept away from children
is for vaginal use and not for use in the eyes or mouth
Note

If your symptoms persist after 7 days, or return within 2 months see your doctor or health practitioner
Products containing antihistamines or topical anesthetics mask the symptoms and do not treat the underlying problem
Rarely is a yeast infection confined to the vagina, so just treating the vaginal yeast infection often does not prevent recurrent infections.
See your doctor or health professional immediately if any of the following symptoms occur:

back pain
fever
foul-smelling discharge
lower abdomen pain
shoulder pain
Natural Treatment

Dietary changes are essential in the treatment of yeast infection

Dietary Recommendations for Acute Candida

Whole Foods Diet

Include:

Fresh vegetables and fruits
Fish and poultry
Flax seed (Linseed)
Whole grains
Organically raised foods where possible.
Other essential fatty acids, such as olive oil and nuts
Plenty of fresh water
1 tablespoon Psyllium seed husk fiber and/or 6 to 8 tablespoons flax seed meal and/or ¼ cup Oat bran daily
Avoid:
Alcohol
Animal fats
Caffeine
Dairy products
Fast foods
Hydrogenated oils and margarine
Processed foods
Junk foods
Sugar
White flour products

and again Oct./09
180/163/147

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2005 11:20 am 
Active Contributor

Hi Marci,

Here's some info from the Atkins site regarding yeast problems and what to eat and avoid:

Quote:
Yeast: We Are What We Eat
Yeast foods—and environmental mold—can stimulate allergies, which in turn can be detrimental to your health.

There is no published research that proves diet can actually cause yeast. But Dr. Atkins and other practitioners at his medical practice saw numerous cases that convinced them that the wrong foods encouraged the continuation and expansion of a Candida albicans (yeast's medical name) overgrowth.

The worst offender is sugar. It is a major growth factor for yeast, and candida patients are invariably warned to stay away from such foods as ice cream, candy, pastry, corn syrup, maple syrup and molasses. If you're following the Atkins Nutritional Approach™, there's certainly no possibility you would eat any of that. You'll also be avoiding the natural sugar in fruit juice and lactose in milk.

However, if you do have a yeast overgrowth, there is another category of food that you will need to avoid: yeast- and mold-containing foods. This includes cheese (except for mozzarella and cream cheese), vinegar, soy sauce and other fermented condiments, plus mushrooms, sauerkraut, sour cream, peanuts, cashews and pistachios (all nuts are subject to mold, but these last two often contain the greatest amount). The list also includes smoked or cured foods, yeast-containing vitamins (make sure the label says they are yeast-free) and wine, beer and spirits.

If you have allergies, be aware that yeast and mold are coreactors—meaning that if you react to one, you react to the other. Therefore, if you have a yeast problem you should do your best to avoid not only yeast and mold in food but also places that harbor environmental mold. This includes office buildings with “sick building syndrome,” your damp basement and bathrooms with poor ventilation. (See Good Housekeeping.)

If you are subject to hay fever or other seasonal allergies, such as those stemming from ragweed or pollen, your system is already stressed, making you more vulnerable to an even greater yeast sensitivity. One way to reduce mold exposure is—at certain times of year when mold counts are high—to cut out the yeast and mold in your diet. This may decrease the degree of symptoms you experience.

It is important to remember that yeast overgrowth stresses the immune system, undermining your total health. When it comes to weight loss, a yeast overgrowth in combination with mold sensitivity may lead to a suppressed metabolism. This may deplete your body of the energy it takes to burn fat. Of course, there may well be other causes that have not yet been identified. Researchers and doctors still don't fully understand what candida overgrowth does to the human body.

What Can You Do?
If you think you might have excessive yeast in your system, your best bet is to cut out all yeast- and mold-containing foods and wait to see if your symptoms clear up. Give it four to six weeks. If your symptoms do not improve, your problem may not be yeast alone. If you improve in some of the areas mentioned earlier, then you may have identified a yeast problem or you may have conceivably removed a food to which you're allergic (see ..Page Food Intolerances: We Are All Individuals not found..). If you do improve after four to six weeks, cautiously reintroduce some of these foods to see if your symptoms return. It is possible that you may always have to consume yeast and mold foods in moderation.

Probiotics, or beneficial bacteria, are essential in dealing with yeast. If Candida albicans has overgrown, then repopulating the insides with the good bacteria that competes with candida is certain to be helpful. Find a probiotic compound that contains not only acidophilus—which is a direct inhibitor of yeast overgrowth—but such other beneficial bacteria as bifidobacterium and bulgaricus. Preparations that do not need to be refrigerated are preferable. The best products are sold in dark glass or plastic light-screening containers. Make sure that the probiotics are not in a milk base. It's worthwhile to pay a bit extra to get a really good product.

Other nutrients that can have a favorable effect on a yeast overgrowth include caprylic or undecanylic acid, oil of oregano and olive leaf extract. For a full discussion of these and other natural remedies, refer to Dr. Atkins' Vita-Nutrient Solution (Simon & Schuster, 1999).

It's advisable to take yeast seriously. Like any allergy or infectious overload, it puts a great strain on the immune system. If it undercuts your weight-loss program, it will also impair your relationship with Atkins—and that is one relationship you should maintain for a lifetime.

HTH!

Hugs,
Lindy

sz26-sz16[b]wgt 271.5 - 197lbs
1/03 -5/08 = 78lbs gone for good!
Slow n' Steady Wins The Race
“All things are possible once enough human beings realize that everything is at stake.” –Norman Cousins

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2005 6:34 pm 
Active Contributor

LMAO I didn't mean that kind of yiest thing lol. I meant i think i have it in my ears and something just isn't right in my system like an allergy. Thanks for the reply though. Lindy i will look through your articles. Lol at how many people looked at this thinking the same thing :oops:

183 Hit on 10-22-05
stgw 200 hit on 8-13-04
ltgw 165
lltgw 155
I AM A SUCCESS STORY AND

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2005 7:24 pm 

Hee Hee Hee! :rofl: :whistle:

But if we can all discuss Iron John's privates, we should be able to talk about a little yeast! Ha! (apologies, IJ)

Cynthia

and again Oct./09
180/163/147

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2005 12:55 pm 
Active Contributor

hammond please don't be sorry i should have worded that better. I must have missed the convo of iron john's privates but seriously how many people looked at this and went ew! lol embarrassed but honestly i will never meet you all and thank goodness i never posted my pictures. Ah well i swear i need to quit dieing my hair it is finally sinking right into my brain.

183 Hit on 10-22-05
stgw 200 hit on 8-13-04
ltgw 165
lltgw 155
I AM A SUCCESS STORY AND