• Atkins Phases
  • Atkins Sample Menus

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2004 10:32 pm 
Active Contributor

Hi all,

If you are new, and have questions about Ketosis this is a great read! :D

Ketosis & Ketone Test Strips

By Doreen

EVERYTHING YOU'VE EVER WANTED TO KNOW ABOUT KETOSIS ...

1. What are ketones?
2. How will ketosis help me to lose weight?
3. But, isn't ketosis dangerous?
4. How do the ketone test strips work, and where do I get them?
5. I'm following Induction strictly; why won't my strips turn purple?
6. Will I lose weight faster if the strips show dark purple all the time?
7. Does caffeine affect ketosis?
8. Will drinking alcohol affect ketosis?

What are ketones?

Ketones are a normal and efficient source of fuel and energy for the human body. They are produced by the liver from fatty acids, which result from the breakdown of body fat in response to the absence of glucose/sugar. In a ketogenic diet, such as Atkins ... or diets used for treating epilepsy in children, the tiny amounts of glucose required for some select functions can be met by consuming a minimum amount of carbs - or can be manufactured in the liver from PROTEIN. When your body is producing ketones, and using them for fuel, this is called "ketosis".

How will ketosis help me to lose weight?

Most reducing diets restrict calorie intake, so you lose weight but some of that is fat and some of it is lean muscle tissue as well. Less muscle means slowed metabolism, which makes losing weight more difficult and gaining it back all too easy. Ketosis will help you to lose FAT.

Being in ketosis means that your body's primary source of energy is fat (in the form of ketones). When you consume adequate protein as well, there's no need for the body to break down its muscle tissue. Ketosis also tends to accelerate fat loss --- once the liver converts fat to ketones, it can't be converted back to fat, and so is excreted.

But, isn't ketosis dangerous?

Being in ketosis by following a low carbohydrate diet is NOT dangerous. The human body was designed to use ketones very efficiently as fuel in the absence of glucose. However, the word ketosis is often confused with a similar word, ketoacidosis.

Ketoacidosis is a dangerous condition for diabetics, and the main element is ACID not ketones. The blood pH becomes dangerously acidic because of an extremely high blood SUGAR level (the diabetic has no insulin, or doesn't respond to insulin .... so blood sugar rises ... ketones are produced by the body to provide the fuel necessary for life, since the cells can't use the sugar). It's the high blood sugar, and the acid condition that is so dangerous. Ketones just happen to be a part of the picture, and are a RESULT of the condition, not the CAUSE. Diabetics can safely follow a ketogenic diet to lose fat weight ... but they must be closely monitored by their health care provider, and blood sugars need to be kept low, and stable.

How do the ketone test strips work, and where can I get them?

Ketone urine-testing strips, also called Ketostix or just ketone sticks ... are small plastic strips that have a little absorptive pad on the end. This contains a special chemical that will change colour in the presence of ketones in the urine. The strips may change varying shades of pink to purple, or may not change colour at all. The container will have a scale on the label, with blocks of colour for you to compare the strip after a certain time lapse, usually 15 seconds. Most folks simply hold a strip in the flow of urine. Other folks argue that the force of the flow can "wash" some of the chemical away, and advise that a sample of urine be obtained in a cup or other container, then the strip dipped into it.

The chemical reagent is very sensitive to moisture, including what's in the air. It's important to keep the lid of the container tightly closed at all times, except for when you're getting a strip to take a reading. Make sure your fingers are dry before you go digging in! They also have an expiry date, so make note of this when you purchase the strips ... that's for the UNopened package. Once opened, they have a shelf-life of about 6 months -- you may wish to write the date you opened on the label for future reference.

Ketone test strips can be purchased at any pharmacy, and are usually kept with the diabetic supplies. In some stores they're kept behind the counter, so if you don't see them on the shelf, just ask the pharmacist; you don't need a prescription to buy them.

I'm following Induction strictly; why won't my strips turn purple?

Ketones will spill into the urine ONLY when there is more in the blood than is being used as fuel by the body at that particular moment.

You may have exercised or worked a few hours previously, so your muscles would have used up the ketones as fuel, thus there will be no excess. You may have had a lot of liquids to drink, so the urine is more diluted. Perhaps the strips are not fresh, or the lid was not on tight and some moisture from the atmosphere got in.

Some low carbers NEVER show above trace or negative even ... yet they burn fat and lose weight just fine. If you're losing weight, and your clothes are getting looser, you're feeling well and not hungry all the time .. then you are successfully in ketosis. Don't get hung up on the strips; they're just a guide, nothing more.

[b]Will I lose weight faster if the strips show dark purple all the time? [/b]

No. Testing in the darkest purple range all the time is usually a sign of dehydration -- the urine is too concentrated. You need to drink more water to dilute it, and keep the kidneys flushed.

The liver will make ketones from body fat, the fat you EAT, and from alcohol --- the ketone strips have no way of distinguishing the source of the ketones. So, if you test every day after dinner, and dinner usually contains a lot of fat, then you may very well test for large amounts of ketones all the time. However this does not indicate that any BODY fat was burned.

The strips only indicate what's happening in the urine. Ketosis happens in the blood and body tissues. If you're showing even a small amount, then you are in ketosis, and fat-burning is taking place. Don't get hung up on the ketone sticks.

Does caffeine affect ketosis?

This is questionable. There ARE a few studies that suggest caffeine may cause blood sugar to rise, with consequent effect on insulin ... The studies involve consuming 50 gm glucose orally, followed by a dose of caffeine. This is quite different from a low carber, who is consuming only 20 gm carbs, in the form of high-fiber vegetables, spread throughout the day.

Many low carbers continue to enjoy caffeine-containing beverages with no serious impact on their weight-loss efforts. However, there are some sensitive individuals ... and persons who are extremely insulin resistant may need to restrict or even eliminate all caffeine. If you have been losing successfully then find your weight loss stalled for a month or two, and you are following your program to the letter, you might consider stopping all caffeine for a while, to see if that will get things started again.

Will drinking alcohol affect ketosis?

No and yes. The liver can make ketones out of alcohol, so technically, when you drink you'll continue to produce ketones and so will remain in ketosis. The problem is ... alcohol converts more easily to ketones than fatty acids, so your liver will use the alchol first, in preference to fat. Thus, when you drink, basically your FAT burning is put on hold until all the alcohol is out of your system.

This rapid breakdown of alcohol into ketones and acetaldehyde (the intoxicating by-product) ... tends to put low carbers at risk for quicker intoxication ... especially if no other food is consumed to slow absorption.

RESOURCES:
Atkinscenter Official Website ... FAQ page, (select Ketosis)
Ketosis ... from the Low Carb Diet and Exercise List
Ketosis and Lipolysis ... from Low Carb Retreat

***** END

I hope this helps someone!

Best wishes to you all for great success!

sz26-sz16[b]wgt 271.5 - 197lbs
1/03 -5/08 = 78lbs gone for good!
Slow n' Steady Wins The Race
“All things are possible once enough human beings realize that everything is at stake.” –Norman Cousins

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2004 9:56 pm 

Thank you Lindy!! This answered alot of questions for me! :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2004 8:56 pm 
Thanks!!
This helped me very much!

Post subject: Ketones
PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2004 12:09 pm 

:D
Gosh, Im so glad I took a look at your info on Ketones....I've been using the strips every day and NO change in the color of the strips, but have a weight loss of about 8 pounds. This is my last day on Induction and have only been eating out of the 'free' food group and drink 98 oz. of water a day. I was getting soooo discouraged about the color of the strips....Thanks so much for set'n straight!

Debbe in W Texas

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2004 6:37 pm 

THANK YOU LINDY, I WAS GETTING WORRIED ABOUT THE PURPLE STRIPS. IT SEEMS THAT MINE MIGHT BE TO OLD, OR I MAY BE DRINKING TO MUCH WATER. (OVER 140OZ) I WORK FROM HOME SO THE BATHROOM IS MY NEW FAVORITE ROOM. I'M THINK ABOUT DOING IT OVER :lol:

THANKS AGAIN

MICHELE

BAY SHORE, NY

Post subject: ketosis test strips
PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2004 6:40 pm 

Thank you so much for posting this info. I am in ketosis. But, did not really understand it. I do now.
emily :lol: :lol: :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2004 8:25 am 

IT'S THAT TOM AND I HAVE BEEN OUT OF KETOSIS FOR 2 DAYS. HAVEN'T EATEN A THING OVER 20 CARBS!NO CHEATING..CAN'T GET BACK INTO KETOSIS, COULD HORMONES CHANGE READING OF KETOSIS STRIPS? TIA-VIC

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2004 2:57 pm 
Active Contributor

I dont think so, I was on TOM last week and was in deep ketosis"dark purple"........Think about everything that you've eaten, if theres even the slightest possibility that what youve eaten contains sugar.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2004 5:18 am 

so are the strips a good buy or not?? :?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2004 9:52 am 

I'd say they are a good buy if you are getting discouraged. I've been in a 3 week stall, and bought the strips. When I can see that I am in mild to moderate ketosis, I know I'm 'doing it right' and that something is bound to happen soon. And they're not expensive. Here in Canada I paid about $10

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2004 1:09 pm 
Active Contributor

yes good buy! It helps give reassurance! I mean, Im so happy knowing im burning fat for energy. Its awesome to pee on them things and see them go dark dark purple.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2004 8:33 am 

Yes, I think that the strips work!! Some people are skeptical about how accurate they are, but we used them in the hospital and doctors office on patients when I worked there as a nurse. I'm sure that medical facilities wouldn't use them if they were unreliable. I always check my ketones everyday!! By the way, it's best to check for ketones in the evening hours, about 2-3 hours after your last meal, I usually check mine when i'm getting ready for bed at night. The reasoning behind this is that your body has a tendency to burn ketones more in the evening hours. That's what I read in my nursing book.... :D :D :D

230/190/170
34 years old 6' ft tall
started Atkins Aug.23,2003

"I'm not fat, I'm just big boned"

Restarted Atkins Sept. 17th 2008
Current weight- 224 lbs.
38 years old

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2004 9:47 pm 

I just purchased these because I was a little discouraged and just finished reading all the wonderful posts here about them! Thank you so much!

But my question is, I went out for a big meal (actually had one potato chip and one french fry. Didn't taste very good) But 2 hrs. after eating I used my new k-sticks, and it registered "small" amounts of Ketones. Does that mean I am only burning a small amount of fat? That I blew it today??

I just am confused and a little insecure about it since I don't have any "super days" to compare it to.

Comments? Please?
chloe

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2004 9:40 am 

Chloe---No, the light/dark color doesn't matter on the sticks. I read that as long as it turns a light pink, that the person is burning ketones. The package insert said that it doesn't matter how light or dark the stick was, and that if it turns really dark, that doesn't necessarily mean that you are burning any more than if the stick was light pink...
I would type the info. that was on the insert, but I threw it away. If you still have your insert, check it out. It should tell you more information.

230/190/170
34 years old 6' ft tall
started Atkins Aug.23,2003

"I'm not fat, I'm just big boned"

Restarted Atkins Sept. 17th 2008
Current weight- 224 lbs.
38 years old

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2004 9:42 pm 
Frequent Contributor

Quote:
Will I lose weight faster if the strips show dark purple all the time? [/b]

No. Testing in the darkest purple range all the time is usually a sign of dehydration -- the urine is too concentrated. You need to drink more water to dilute it, and keep the kidneys flushed.

That is taken directly from the original post above.

I've always understood ketosis to be rather like pregnancy - either you ARE, or you ARE NOT - there really aren't degrees!

And as also quoted in the original post, NOT showing ketones on the sticks does NOT necessarily mean you are not in ketosis!

Personally I've quit using them. It just gave me one more thing to obsess over! :wink:

Char

I reject your reality and substitute my own. --Adam on Mythbusters

2 7 10 16 31 12