Custom Search

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Powered by ® Forum Software © phpBB Group  
Everything Atkins  

• Search
  • Home
  • Atkins Phases
  • Atkins Sample Menus

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 89 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2004 2:48 pm 
:P Hi everyone!
Back on Atkins again and needing the support I receive from these messages and replies. Good to see that there is a growing legion of people that believe as I do. I have successfully beaten breast cancer and am cleared to go back to Atkins after a lengthy bout of being on Prednisone for a related condition. I now weigh more than I ever have but know that this WOL is for me...
Glad to see so many people still here..

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2004 2:15 pm 

Welcome Back! Glad you're better! My SIL just had surgery and started chemo yesterday.

Stop by the induction forum and come on in our clubhouse and visit w/us! :D

Post subject: Induction- Foods
PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2004 12:47 pm 

Hi,
I have a few questions i need help answering i already have the atkins book and it doesnt say anything about only drinking decaffinated tea this is a must for me when i eat out in restaurants. they dont have decaffinated tea. can i still have it and be ok during induction? the atkins book isnt very clear on alot of things i mean very specific on what is allowed i have gotten more information from the internet; and yet it is specified to buy the book i wonder why?

also, what about fruits during induction are any allowed? and the cheese i buy says all natural part skim i cant find any that say whole milk but it doesnt say it is processed though i am wondering if that is ok?

I also noticed that I am barely making the 20 grams a day with just the three meals and sometimes not all three meals and i am not eating excessivly I am wondering how you eat snacks in between if there is no room left as far as carb grams? is it a must to eat salad everday?

this is all i can think of for the moment i would appeciate your help

Thanks for your time,
Ariraq

Post subject: ADVICE FROM SENIOR MEMBERS
PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2004 6:25 pm 

Dear Lincy,

I live in Mexico and here is not very popular the Atkins Diet, I am trying to get as much information as I can, I have one week trying to do Atkins (Induction). I can't find the ADVICE FROM SENIOR MEMBER link on the page.. What kind of recommendations can you make???

Thank You

Diana :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2004 1:13 pm 
Active Contributor

Hi Jilly,

Broth is in the "Additionaly you may have" listing in the Induction section, and on the thread called, "New 2 Atkins? Don't Know What 2 Eat?" on page 1 if you don't have your book handy.

Here's what it says:

Quote:
Clear broth/bouillon (not all brands; read the label)
Club soda
Cream, heavy or light (limit to two to three tablespoons a day; note carbohydrate content)
Decaffeinated coffee or tea*
Diet soda made with sucralose (Splenda?); be sure to count the carbs
Essence-flavored seltzer (must say "no calories" and should not contain aspartame)
Herb tea (without barley or any fruit sugar added)
Lemon juice or lime juice (note that each contains 2.8 grams carbohydrate per ounce); limit to two to three tablespoons

Best wishes to you for continued success! :D

sz26-sz16[b]wgt 271.5 - 197lbs
1/03 -5/08 = 78lbs gone for good!
Slow n' Steady Wins The Race
“All things are possible once enough human beings realize that everything is at stake.” –Norman Cousins

Post subject: New here
PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2004 11:02 am 

Hi guys!!! :D

I'm new here, and today is my first day ... lets see how this goes.

I hope I do things right, the eating small portions isn't anything new to me, since I am used to eating one meal a day, usually consisting of very healthy foods.. fresh veggies, chicken or steak, a salad and some rice or a potato. BUT... I piled everything on my plate, and I drank a LOT of soda, so yea.... I think the caffeine deficiency will pose a problem starting off but I think I can get through it.

soo.... good luck to me :lol:

Goal: 110

Post subject: Carbs and Sugar
PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2004 2:06 pm 

This is my first day and I have one question If something has 2 carbs and those carbs are both sugars. During induction, can I not eat that at all or just count it as 2 carbs. Thanks in advance for all your help.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2004 1:24 pm 

I am new! Hi everyone! I just purchased the 14 Day Atkins Starter Kit at GNC and would love to start tomorrow. I just don't know what to do! Please Help!!!!!!!!!!!

Post subject: Hi i'm new
PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2004 8:13 am 

Could someone please tell me how many times i need to read the book am confused? :roll:
I understand eating the meat but it's the carbs that have got me :?
I'm planning on starting the atkins on monday.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2004 8:28 am 
Active Contributor

Hello, and welcome aboard!

Please go get a glass of water if your not drinking it now, and read on...

Some of you that either don't have the book, don't own a copy, haven't read it yet, maybe missed a few parts in the book (easy to do 1st time) or simply don't understand some of it might want to take a look at this post.

*This thread is not meant to replace the book by ANY MEANS...get the book as soon as you can.

The most important thing is to understand how this WOE works, how to begin, and then how to continue through all four (4) phases as Dr. Atkins recommends.

While you're reading and rereading the book, and posts on this site you can get started on the right foot by drinking enough water, and taking walks.

As you read make a shopping list so you can get started on the right track...shop for the recommended vitamins as well as foods, and spring water.

Atkins Plan basics...

There are four phases to the plan:

1) Induction
2) Ongoing Weight Loss
3) Pre-Maintenance
4) Maintenance

First of all have you'll need to read the chapter in Dr. Atkins New Diet Revolution (DANDR) that talks about Induction. Read and reread it making notes. This will be your foundation, and where you'll get the list of allowed foods for the period that you will spend on the 1st phase of the program.

The 1st chapter lists all of the legal foods. Having the book is very important, because you'll have to refer to it often. I still learn new things almost every single day after 349 days on Atkins!

In the beginning it is either 3 cups of salad vegetables *OR* 2 cups of salad vegetables plus 1 cup of "Vegetables In Addition To Salad Vegetables" which are refered to as 10% Carbohydrate of less.

Here's a list of the foods allowed on Phase 1 (Induction).

However remember this is not to be used in place of reading the book, and the related chapter. It is most important to get ahold of a copy of the book, and study it!

Fish/fowl/shellfish/meat/eggs - including:

tuna, chicken, oysters*, beef, eggs, salmon, turkey, mussels*, pork, sole, duck, lobster, lamb, trout, goose, clams, bacon**, flounder, Cornish hen, squid, veal, sardines, quail, shrimp, ham**, herring, pheasant, crabmeat, venison

*Oysters and mussels are higher in carbs than other shellfish, so limit them to four ounces per day.

**Processed meats, such as ham, bacon, pepperoni, salami, hot dogs and other luncheon meats-and some fish-may be cured with added sugar and will contribute carbs. Try to avoid meat and fish products cured with nitrates, which are known carcinogens. Also beware of products that are not exclusively meat, fish or fowl, such as imitation fish, meatloaf and breaded foods. Finally, do not consume more than four ounces of organ meats a day.

OTHER FOODS THAT ARE ACCEPTABLE DURING INDUCTION

Cheese
You can consume THREE to FOUR ounces daily of the following full-fat, firm, soft and semisoft aged cheeses*, including:

cheddar
cow, sheep and goat cheese
cream cheese
Gouda
mozzarella
Roquefort and other blue cheeses
Swiss

*All cheeses have some carbohydrate content. The quantity you eat should be governed by that knowledge. The rule of thumb is to count 1 ounce of cheese as equivalent to 1 gram of carbohydrate.

Note that cottage cheese, farmers cheese and other fresh cheeses are not permitted during Induction.

No "diet" cheese, cheese spreads or whey cheeses are permitted. Individuals with known yeast symptoms, dairy allergy or cheese intolerance must avoid cheese. Imitation cheese products are not allowed, except for soy or rice cheese-but check the carbohydrate content.

Vegetables
You can have two to three cups per day of:

alfalfa sprouts
daikon
mushrooms
arugula
endive
parsley
bok choy
escarole
peppers
celery
fennel
radicchio
chicory
jicama
radishes
chives
lettuce
romaine lettuce
cucumber
mâche
sorrel

These salad vegetables are high in phytonutrients and provide a good source of fiber.

Other Vegetables:

You can have one cup per day of these veggies if salad does not exceed two cups. The following vegetables are slightly higher in carbohydrate content than the salad vegetables:

artichoke
celery root
pumpkin
artichoke hearts
rhubarb
asparagus
chard
sauerkraut
bamboo shoots
collard greens
scallions
dandelion
snow peas
bean sprouts
dandelion greens
spaghetti squash
beet greens
eggplant
spinach
broccoli
hearts of palm
string or wax beans
broccoli rabe
kale
summer squash
brussels
kohlrabi
tomato
bean sprouts
leeks
turnips
cabbage
okra
water chestnuts
cauliflower
onion
zucchini

If a vegetable, such as spinach or tomato, cooks down significantly, it must be measured raw so as not to underestimate its carb count.

Salad Garnishes:

crumbled crisp bacon
grated cheese
minced hard-boiled egg
sautéed mushrooms
sour cream

Spices:
All spices to taste, but make sure none contain added sugar.

Herbs:
basil
garlic
rosemary
cayenne pepper
ginger
sage
cilantro
oregano
tarragon
dill
pepper
thyme

For salad dressing, use oil and vinegar (but not balsamic vinegar, which contains sugar) or lemon juice and herbs and spices.

Prepared salad dressings without added sugar and no more than two carbs per tablespoon serving are also fine.

Acceptable Fats and Oils:
Many fats, especially certain oils, are essential to good nutrition.
Olive oil is particularly valuable. All other vegetable oils are allowed, the best being canola, walnut, soybean, grapeseed, sesame, sunflower and safflower oils, especially if they are labeled "cold-pressed" or "expeller-pressed." Do not cook polyunsaturated oils, such as corn, soybean and sunflower oil, at high temperatures or allow to brown or smoke.

Butter is allowed. Margarine should be avoided, not because of its carbohydrate content, but because it is usually made of trans fats (hydrogenated oils), which are a serious health hazard. (Some nonhydrogenated margarines are available in health-food stores.)

You don't have to remove the skin and fat from meat or fowl. Salmon and other cold-water fish are an excellent source of omega-3 fatty acids.

Remember that trying to do a low-fat version of the Atkins Nutritional ApproachTM will interfere with fat burning and derail your weight loss.

Artificial Sweeteners

You must determine which artificial sweeteners agree with you, but the following are allowed: sucralose (marketed as Splenda?), saccharin, cyclamate and acesulfame-K.

Natural sweeteners ending in the suffix "-ose," such as maltose, fructose, etc., should be avoided. However, certain sugar alcohols, such as maltitol, do not affect blood sugar and are acceptable. In some cases they do react as sugar would though we've found.

Saccharin has been extensively studied, and harmful effects were produced in the lab when fed to rats only in extremely high doses. The Food and Drug Administration (FDA) has removed saccharin from its list of carcinogens, basing its decision upon a thorough review of the medical literature and the National Institute of Science?s statement that there is "no clear association between saccharin and human cancer." It can be safely consumed in moderation, meaning no more than three packets a day. Saccharin is marketed as Sweet'n Low?.

We (Atkins Centera) discourage the use of aspartame (marketed as NutraSweet® and Equal®) because of clinical observations that it slows weight loss in certain individuals. The FDA has approved the herb stevia for use only as a supplement, not as a sweetener.

The Atkins preference, however, is sucralose (Splenda?), the only sweetener made from sugar. Sucralose is safe, noncaloric and does not raise blood sugar. It has been used in Canada for years, and the FDA recently approved it after reviewing more than 100 studies conducted over the past 20 years. Note that each packet of sugar substitute contains about 1 gram of carbohydrate, so don?t forget to include the amount in your daily totals.

Acceptable Beverages
Be sure to drink a minimum of eight eight-ounce glasses of water each day, including:

Filtered water
Mineral water
Spring water
Tap water

Additionally, you can have the following:

Clear broth/bouillon (not all brands; read the label)
Club soda
Cream, heavy or light (limit to two to three tablespoons a day; note carbohydrate content)
Decaffeinated coffee or tea*
Diet soda made with sucralose (Splenda?); be sure to count the carbs
Essence-flavored seltzer (must say "no calories" and should not contain aspartame)
Herb tea (without barley or any fruit sugar added)
Lemon juice or lime juice (note that each contains 2.8 grams carbohydrate per ounce); limit to two to three tablespoons

*Excessive caffeine may cause unstable blood sugar and should be avoided by those who suspect they are caffeine dependent. Everyone should try to avoid caffeine. Grain beverages (coffee substitutes) are not allowed. Alcoholic beverages are also not permitted during Induction; those low in carbohydrates are an option, in moderation, in later phases.

Special Category Foods
To add variety, each day you can also eat 10 to 20 olives, half a small avocado, an ounce of sour cream or three ounces of unsweetened heavy cream, as well as two to three tablespoons of lemon juice or lime juice. But be aware that these foods occasionally slow down weight loss in some people, and may need to be avoided in the first two weeks. If you seem to be losing slowly, moderate your intake of these foods.

Convenience Foods
Although it is important that you eat primarily unprocessed foods, some controlled carb food products can come in handy when you are unable to find appropriate food, can?t take time for a meal or need a quick snack. More and more companies are creating healthy food products that can be eaten during the Induction phase of Atkins. Just remember two things:

Not all convenience food products are the same, so check labels and carbohydrate content. (See the Online Store for Atkins brand products.)
While any of these foods can make doing Atkins easier, don't overdo it. Remember, you must always follow The Rules of Induction.

********* END

I hope this helps some of you a bit.

Best wishes to you for whooshes (weight losses)

sz26-sz16[b]wgt 271.5 - 197lbs
1/03 -5/08 = 78lbs gone for good!
Slow n' Steady Wins The Race
“All things are possible once enough human beings realize that everything is at stake.” –Norman Cousins

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2004 12:00 pm 

Hey All!!!!!
I bought some of the low carb snacks at lunch time. Anyone ever have them? Are they good? I got the Morning Start Almond Cereal, an Atkins Peanut Butter and Chocolate bar, some of the vanilla merengues, some Chocolate Chip Fudge Biscotti and a the Carb Options Italian Dressing and Steak Sauce. Anyone ever have any of the low carb snacks?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2004 6:41 am 
Frequent Contributor

bump

234.5/*219.2/212/149 (Low was 168.5) 64, 5"1"
DH 221/*211/205/?? 66, 5'10"
* As of 7/1/2011, we first started 8/23/03

"What would Jimmy Buffet Do?"
Search for "gooch47" to view my videos on www.youtube.com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2004 1:09 pm 
Frequent Contributor

bump

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2007 10:50 am 
Frequent Contributor

bump

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 89 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6