Powered by ® Forum Software © phpBB Group  
Everything Atkins  

• Search
  • Home
  • Atkins Phases
  • Atkins Sample Menus

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2004 3:29 pm 
Site Admin

Thanks to Gooch (Linda) for creating the following FAQ! :)

FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS

What are the numbers at the bottom of some posts?

They are the poster’s statistics. Usually start weight, and then current weight followed by goal. We also encourage putting age and height in the statistics.

How can I put my statistics on all my posts?

Edit your profile by selecting “Profile” from the blue/gray bar at the top of the screen. Fill in the signature area with whatever you want to appear on every post. Don’t forget to select “Submit” to make it permanent. Then just edit your profile each time you want to update your stats.

I’m not losing. What am I doing wrong?

We need information to help you. Tell us when you started, how much you weigh, how much you’ve lost, and most importantly, what a typical menu is each day, including quantities even if you have to guess about the quantities. Also, how much water you drink.

I’m on Induction. Can I eat <something>?

If <something> is on the Atkins Induction list, yes you can. You need to research this way of eating in order to do it right. There is a post at the top of the board that tells you what you can eat, but it does not replace reading Dr. Atkins’ New Diet Revolution.

If <something> has zero carbs, can I eat as much as I want of it?

Zero does not necessarily mean no carbs. Total carbohydrates, sugars, and dietary fiber must be rounded to the nearest whole gram. Mayonnaise, for example, has a serving size of 1 tablespoon and the label says zero carbs. A cup of mayo has almost 6 carbs, so a tablespoon is about .3 carbs. But the label can, therefore, show the total carbohydrates as 0 since it is less than 1/2 carb per serving. If the total carbohydrate count is less than one but more than 1/2, the label should list the total carbohydrates as "less than 1" or <1. The best thing is to use a carbohydrate counter listing to verify what the actual carb count is.

How much water should I drink?

Drinking water is critical to weight loss and to keep your body healthy. Drink one-half your weight in ounces. If you weigh 200 pounds, you should drink 100 ounces of water every day. Water is the only thing you can count, no sodas, no tea, no coffee ... just water.

How many carbs in <something>?

You can use to find the number of carbs in most foods. However, they do not subtract fiber (which is not counted). You must do that manually.

I did great on Induction, but I haven't lost anything this week. What's up?

There is a very common stall sometime between weeks 3 and 6 that we call PISS. Post Induction Stall Syndrome. It appears that your body needs to catch up with the big induction weight loss and takes a short rest. Have faith and don't give up. It will pass.

I’m constipated. Is that normal?

Unfortunately, yes. Drink plenty of water and you will probably have to add something to your daily regimen. You need fiber. Many people use ground flax seed sprinkled on their salad. Fibercon or another bulk producing product also works. Be sure to drink lots of water or taking a bulk product will leave you worse off than you started.

I feel weak, tired and sick. Is that normal?

Again, unfortunately yes. You are going through withdrawal from carbohydrates. Headaches are very common. Hang in there and in a few days it will pass.

I cheated. What do I do now?

You may not gain weight, but your body will most likely take several days to get back into fat burning mode. Go back to eating only legal foods immediately and drink extra water to flush the carbohydrates from your system.

Can I drink alcohol while on induction?

You should not. Even after induction, your body will burn alcohol first and ignore the fat you eat and the fat in your body. If you must, though, white and red wine are acceptable but do have a small amount of carbohydrates. Spirits such as vodka, gin, and bourbon do not have carbohydrates, but be sure to use sugar free mixers. Rum is OK, but not recommended. Some rums have sugar.

How do I convert Splenda measurements and determine how many carbs?

Go to the recipe board and type Splenda Conversions into the search box. Warning: Do not assume you can just tear open packets and measure in a measuring cup. Packets are much sweeter than the bulk Splenda.

New Versions of Dr. Atkins New Diet Revolution

Warning: This is a personal opinion. As you probably know, Dr. Atkins passed away a while ago. The original book he authored, Dr. Atkins' New Diet Revolution, has been replaced by newer releases. There are some major differences, especially that the new one allows some low carb commercial foods. The new book was edited by Atkins Nutritionals, who just by chance SELLS low carb commercial foods. I personally believe that we should stick to Dr. Atkins' tried and proven methods. (See the item below for further comments.)

Can I have low-carb products while I’m on Induction? What are frankenfoods?

The best answer is no. You should eat only the allowed induction foods while on induction. Even after starting Ongoing Weight Loss, many members advocate limited, even no, use of these products. Natural foods prepared by you, yourself, are best, but if you need to use them for convenience or variety, be sure to count the carbs and only use them in moderation. Frankenfoods are defined differently by various members, but in general they are considered low-carb junk food.

Why did my thread get moved? Or locked?

The moderators try to keep threads in the proper group. The Atkins group is only for posts that have information directly associated with the Atkins way of eating. Other groups are Induction, Atkins Recipes and Cooking Advice, Off Topic, The Exercise Room, Photos, Graphics and Testing, Atkins FAQ and Other Informative Posts and Other Low Carb Plans. The newest one is Politics, Religion and Debate Board. This board is for topics that sometimes get "heated" and if you are offended by these topics, it would be advisable to stay away. Threads on any of the boards are sometimes locked by the moderators if they contain explicit sexual references or if the posts are becoming personal, insulting, threatening, or just not in the best interest of users reading and following the Atkins WOE.