Powered by ® Forum Software © phpBB Group  
Everything Atkins  

• Search
  • Home
  • Atkins Phases
  • Atkins Sample Menus

Post subject: annnamarie's journal
PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2010 9:31 pm 

Hey all, I am new here and cannot believe how positive and uplifting everyone is. SO very happy to have found this place.

My background
Happily married, mother of 2 daughters.
Turning 40 next year and am determined NOT to be fat when I do so. I have been a fit size 7/8 my whole life until I met my second husband and gained 60+ lbs over 4 years. He loves to cook and I apparently love to eat. It's a match made in heaven.

I cannot blame any of the weight gain on pregnancy since I dropped those pounds easily and quickly and could fit my pre-pregnancy jeans within 2 weeks of giving birth. Ya, I hate that me too. I took my old metabolism completely for granted. I'd like to take this opportunity to apologize to the metabolism of my 20's and ask it to come back. I promise, PROMISE, PROMISE I will love you this time.

It's come to the point where I am depressed and embarrassed about my weight. I would absolutely argue that I am NOT an emotional eater but after reading a part in the Atkins book, I realize that I reward eat. Bad day at work, I reward myself for surviving the hell with food. I have a fantastic day and what better way to celebrate than with food. Can I say D.E.N.I.A.L?

Taking measurements and calculating my BMI was a big reality check (shock). I am most determined to do this and do it well. All the spouse's attempts at sabotage will be thwarted. All excuses (I am the queen of excuses) will be terminated.

I am trading in my food rewards for other ones. Full-body 60 minute massage for completing induction. Haircut & highlights at my 30% loss goal. Teeth whitening at 50%. New wardrobe at 90%. Tropical vacation at 100% which is when I plan to wear a bathing suit ...in public. YIKES!

I am hoping that being open and honest here & in my real life will keep me accountable. I am open to any and all suggestions and look forward to getting to know folks from the boards.

Post subject: Re: annnamarie's journal
PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2010 9:59 pm 
Frequent Contributor

Welcome! :welcome: :welcome:

I like your positive tone and I like your self-reward plan. I think you will be very successful!

This plan works VERY well, and it works by far the best the first time you do it. My hope is that you will sail all the way to goal without falling off the wagon. That is definitely the BEST way to go about it!

Loading 7/11-12, total lost: 24.6 pounds so far! (224/165/165)

PostPosted: Sat Aug 07, 2010 2:23 am 
Active Contributor

Hi Annamarie

Good luck, I am sure you will make it.

I too am just starting out so will follow your journal with interest

Sarah

fantasy goal 112 - only 54 to go!

PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2010 11:51 am 

I am just starting day 5 and it has been both easier and harder than I thought. Very pleasantly surprised that I have had zero sugar cravings. I used to be/forever will be a sugar addict. It IS my drug of choice.

I managed to resist temptations while eating out at a restaurant and a fast food place. I just stuck with a plain salad with grilled chicken and cheddar cheese and counted the carbs in the dressing. But oh the things I would do for a Slurpee on these hot summer days. Dogs do tricks for treats and I would so turn a trick for a treat. LOL. Just kidding, it's my warped sense of humor.

I don't feel like I have lost any weight (clothes still feel the same) so I am determined to not step on the scale until the end of week 2 induction. Which terrifies me, maybe I should just stay on induction a bit longer. I don't want to add in new food to the mix and stall. I will have to read through the boards and see what others have done. I have confirmed lipolysis with the urine sticks. Yahoo!

The cons:
Extreme thirst and dry mouth. Has anyone else experienced this? I simply cannot get enough water. Yesterday I was over 5 L when I stopped keeping track midday. I have always been a big water drinker but this is ridiculous. 4L= 1 gallon. I had figured out my recommended water intake per weight to be around 2,700ml or 2.7 L.

The ketone breath is horrible though not an offensive smell. I explained it to my husband like this: it is like I have licked 8 million envelopes and stamps. It leaves a slightly sweet taste in the mouth but very, very, very dry. I think that is part of the reason why I am so thirsty, trying to get rid of that dry mouth. I will have to remember to buy some fresh parsley.

I am having a really hard time getting down all 20 carbs. By bedtime, I have only reached 12-15 carbs. I am simply not hungry and hate to have to force the other 5 down. Often now I push away my plate, half finished and save it for the next meal because I am too full to continue. That NEVER used to happen. I use to eat all my meal and then finish off whatever my kids didn't.

I am sticking within the 3 ounces of cheese & 3 ounces of creamer with the bulk of the carbs coming from leafy green things. But by morning time I am famished and shaky so I will have to work on those last 5- 9 carbs along with a bedtime protein.

I will NOT try the Atkins bars or shakes until after induction when I HOPE that I am good and done with white sugar forever. Right now I won't even have Splenda because I am scared that the sweet taste will cause me to want more.

Okay, I have rambled on long enough. Hopefully I will have a weight loss to report the next time I check in.
Take care and have a great day.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2010 4:22 pm 
Frequent Contributor

Looks to me like you are doing BEAUTIFULLY and your instinct to avoid things that even taste sweet is a very smart one. Better to lose the cravings once and for all rather than to keep reawakening them with artificial sugars. Why fight the same fight over and over, right?

I'm certain that you will have a pleasant surprise when you weigh at the end of your 2 weeks!

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2010 11:53 am 

Okay, I caved. Stepped on the scale this morning and am happy to report -5lbs. Yahoooooooooooo!

Also I tried one of those drink crystal packages sweetened with Splenda. It tasted too sweet to me and very fake, with a chemical aftertaste. Don't think I will become addicted to them anytime soon. It didn't trigger any sugar cravings which was a big worry. The thirst and dry mouth have improved, hope that doesn't mean that the lipolysis has slowed down.

One week down, only 35 more weeks to go. Sigh .... #-o

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2010 9:48 pm 
Frequent Contributor

No, as you adjust, you don't have that strange ketosis feeling any more, and you begin to feel really energetic and great!

Congrats--you're doing really well!

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2010 7:40 pm 

Thanks for the encouragement Verb, I really need all the reinforcement/cheerleading I can get. My husband is such a saboteur which makes this doubly hard. He doesn't have an ounce of fat on him and he just doesn't understand how hard this is. He means well when he brings home ice cream bars and cookies but I have no self control when it comes to sugar.

I wandered by a store with a 50% off all summer clothes sale. I ended up buying about 10 pieces in sizes that are way too tight at the moment. I hope it will be added incentive to keep up the weight loss. With fingers crossed, I will be wearing them next spring.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2010 11:31 am 

I've made it through induction. Yay! I had planned to stay on induction a bit longer but am really tired of the limited food selections. I am almost through week 3 and am very happy with a 14 lb total loss so far.

week 1 -5lbs
week 2 -6lbs
week 3 -3lbs

It is easier to get in all the carbs since I love fruit and nuts. I do have to be careful not to go beyond the current carb count. I was a little disappointed with only a -3 lb loss this week but any loss is good and I did weigh in 2 days early. Not to mention that I was originally hoping for only 1.8lb loss per week. I am already 2 months ahead of my anticipated schedule. Now THAT makes me smile.

I have really stepped up the exercise and have been walking 5 km three or more times per week. We just bought a new puppy so she is added incentive to walk everyday. I promised myself that I would join a gym as soon as I wouldn't embarrass myself by collapsing five minutes into a workout. Perhaps in September when my youngest heads off to school full-time.

I tried the Atkins power bars and wasn't a fan. Would like to try one of the shakes. Bought an Atkins cookbook and can't wait to try out some recipes. The ketosis breath is still ongoing but not as severe, as a result I've let my water intake go way down from 5 L to about 2 L.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2010 6:58 pm 
Frequent Contributor

Wow--you're doing fantastic. Now don't stop--keeping working it till you get to goal! =D>

PostPosted: Sat Sep 04, 2010 6:08 pm 

I am no longer living in the land of rainbows, butterflies and easy weight loss. I moved from induction to OWL and guess what????? By week 4 the weight loss has come to a screeching halt. I have lost 0 this week. P.I.S.S really pisses me off. Not enough to make me cheat or quit. I am more determined than ever to do this. Do my clothes fit any differently? Not that I can tell, then again I live in yoga pants and work scrubs.

I didn't know about the carb pyramid and began adding blueberries as soon as induction was over. Maybe that did it. Maybe I am meant to stay on 20 carbs for the rest of my life. I have stepped up the exercise and now go for a one hour walk everyday (give or take 1 day). Maybe I am adding muscle, maybe I need to add in weight training. Maybe I am meant to be fat forever. So much for super easy weigh loss.

Should I go back to induction for a few days? Should I stay at 25 carbs for the next month?

I need to find a weight loss buddy who will keep me motivated.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2010 6:13 am 
Active Contributor

Hi Annamarie

Don't fret, I too have stalled for a week or so and have been slightly disappointed with my weekly losses, however it does start to come off again and now, 6 or so weeks in seems to be a steady loss.

I find it confusing that everyone has a different take on Atkins from different books etc and from what the message was at that time :D In the book I have, it suggests that you don't go to OWL until nearer your goal or if you are happy to loose weight more slowly, so you may have just gone to early? I expect it all depends on what you want to eat. I do miss fruit though.

Keep at it

Sarah

fantasy goal 112 - only 54 to go!

PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2010 12:57 pm 

Thanks Sarah for the encouragement

There is NO WAY I can stay on induction indefinitely. I would cheat for sure. I will give it one more week at 25 g carb before I decided to change something. Someone suggested that I stay away from fruit and see what happens. It's frustrating because I was seeing such drastic results initially. I thought this was going to be a cake walk. Mmmm, cake, oh how I miss you.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2010 8:11 pm 

I am not stepping on the scale this week. I am premenstrual and my spouse has been secretly feeding me carbs hidden in the meals he makes. Arggg. I busted him with an empty jar of spaghetti sauce with 16 g carbs per 1/4 cup.

Now I am paranoid about EVERYTHING that goes on my plate. If I didn't watch him make it, I won't eat it. Staying away from all fruits until I see some losses. Tried the vanilla Atkins shakes and couldn't finish the whole carton. It was gross, tasted just like Ensure/Boost. Found some 90% dark chocolate (2 carbs for 3 pieces) and have become a big fan of dark chocolate which I despised previously.

Starting to notice a change in how my clothes fit. Loving the exercise -NEVER thought I'd say that in a million years. Make that 2 million years. Thinking about doubling up my daily walks, 5km in the morning and 5 km at night. The new puppy is an awesome walking companion.

Well, that's about it. Wish I had a loss to report.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2010 6:49 pm 

Haven't posted in forever because I have had nothing to report.

PISS lasted a very L-O-N-G 3- 4 weeks. Lost 3 lbs this week. And I hope that means it will continue.
Not cheating but also not eating much other than induction safe foods with some nuts and berries. Haven't been able to move up the pyramid and try grains etc. Have drastically lowered my water intake simply because that unquenchable thirst has gone. I still have to work at eating all 20-25 grams carbs/day and will stay at that number for now. Most nights I top out at 16 carbs and am too full to eat anymore.

Some of my clothes are starting to feel quite loose. Exercising has gotten much easier and I think I may be ready to join the gym.

Crossing my fingers that I won't stall again for a long time. I still want to lose 45 more lbs and hope it doesn't take longer than I anticipated at 7 months.