Custom Search

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Powered by ® Forum Software © phpBB Group  
Everything Atkins  

• Search
  • Home
  • Atkins Phases
  • Atkins Sample Menus

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 70 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2010 6:26 am 
Active Contributor

This is such a great post....

and I can definately empathise...as I have done - am doing it too!

It is almost like I lose a few lbs then I sabotage myself - maybe I have mental issues....lol
I have been overweight all my life that I do not know what it feels like to be thin. And I believe that is another issue I have..getting my mind over that hurdle....It is shame that I have come so far in life only to realise this now...

I have to admit, it is harder now (having the 3 young kids) - it is just easier to have a sandwich for lunch the to prepare a salad!

But, if nothing else this forum is a great motivator...I am frustrated too! :-(

Restarted Atkins: 1st August 2011 (107kgs)
Current Weight: 103kgs

111/103/65kgs
(original goal)

Mother of 3 beautiful kids
Stephanie - 6 years
Angus - 3.5 yrs
Phoebe - 2 years

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2010 1:08 pm 
Active Contributor

Jennifer I'm new, but not new to dieting :oops:

I feel for you I really do, but I have to say this GET RID OF THE NUTS

IMHO most dieters have addictive personalities :help: and all we do is move from one food
addiction to the next, I have twice read recently your wail about almonds, please just post them to me (kidding) or get rid of them.

What I am enjoying about this forum so far is the honesty, because it's real and true not the fantastic never fail stories you get to read, we are all in ti for the long haul, so why not post instead of binging \:D/

fantasy goal 112 - only 54 to go!

PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2010 11:17 pm 

Okay, I'm brand new at this and it's now or never. I turn 40 next year and I'm NOT going to do it being FAT. Your comments sound just like the things I say to myself, I am the queen of excuses. Most of the time I live in a fantasy world called denial. I am determined to do this and maybe we can inspire each other. Or maybe I can just go buy clothes in a bigger size and call it a day. I need someone to keep me accountable. Whatta'ya say?

PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2010 4:07 am 
Frequent Contributor

WELCOME EVERYONE especially those new comers...

From someone that has lost a few pounds (well over 100) I can say only a few things...

First of all, I know this is the Atkins Diet, however look at it as a food plan rather than a diet... Generally diets don't work while food plans work forever....

Second, one of the main reasons we are all here is because we are all compulsive over eaters... Admit it !!! If we didn't overeat, we wouldn't be here... Overeaters Anonymous is a good friend and works very well with our food plan.. There are OA meetings almost everywhere.. Check them out on line and join either on line or preferably at a meeting in your local town...

Third is this food plan is a great plan if worked properly.. Don't try to feel that you know better because you don't.. Work the plan as designed and it works.. Be honest.. Post your food on the "What R We Eating" thread.. It will keep you honest as you will see....
As the slogan goes:---
IT WORKS IF YOU WORK IT
SO WORK IT YOUR WORTH IT

And finally, you didn't get overweight overnight, so don't expect to lose it overnight...

Good luck to one and all and please keep posting for support and help... Just be honest even if you did something wrong.. We are all human and we all make mistakes... No one is perfect...

As of August 2008 ~ 215
Went up to 245 (lost control)
As of January 2011 weight is 222......
As of June 2011 weight ie 216... Total loss 142 pounds
Age 70 & (old enough to know better) ---

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2011 6:39 pm 
Active Contributor

I knew when I wrote this originally that I wasnt ready.
I knew the holidays were coming up and I would jump off the wagon, so why try?
I am at my highest weight (220) and the holidays are over, so are all the excuses.
I began Jan. 1st. I wasnt around a scale, so weighed the 2nd.

I fit into one pair of work pants and bought a size 18 jeans - 18. 20 is damn close - too damn close.
I've done well with everything but my water, actually stayed way from diet soda until today (had two glasses filled with ice first). I will be upping my water intake ASAP.
We are even going to bring my eliptical machine up from the basement and place in the bedroom - DH griped but when I said it removes all excuses of laziness he nodded and we'll get a friend to get it up here so I can get to it when I get home from work.

I wanted to put this post back at the top for one reason. Me.
If it helps you great, but right now this is all about me. I talk the straight talk now I need to read it - and then read it again.
I am not taking anything away from all of you who have encouraged me the entire way - it's why I keep coming back - the only reason why I keep coming back :) ... But, again I need these words to remind me where I never want to be again, so I can once again look in the mirror without disgust.

It's time.

Jennifer (220/210/160)5' 7.5" ... 46 yrs old
(restarted 1st Jan, '11)

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2011 1:58 pm 

Reading this thread was just what I needed.

This is not the first time I've been here. The first time was back in 2004 when I managed to lose 20lbs and get down to 119lbs in 6 months with very little difficulty.

I then went off plan and gained it all back with no problems whatsoever!

I went back onto Atkins but weeks and weeks later , I had not lost a single pound... I headed off down the low cal route instead and lost about 10 of the regained pounds.

Then i gave up smoking and told myself that I had enough to worry about without worrying about weight.... and gained those lost 10 back plus about 20 more!

I am now the heaviest that I have ever been in my life excluding pregnancy.

I know what I have to do. I have to follow this plan but without the mindset that I can eat as much as I like so long as it's legal. I need to keep away from s/f products and desserts... they make me stall. I need to stay away from the nuts... ditto (and I have no self control) and I need to limit my portions. I'm feeling pretty disgusted with myself tonight because I had 2 chicken legs with my broccoli instead of just one. Now I feel stuffed. It's that 'eating till I feel stuffed' which got me to this place in the first place! I need to relearn good eating habits and then stick to them.

restart 02/01/11
158/158/130

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2011 3:33 pm 
Active Contributor

Hi Guys,
I can totally empathise with you, I am in the same boat, I lost 3kg in November....
But once December came, I gave up, too much good food & wine...it is just too hard to resist this time of year!!!
Consequently, I gained it back, plus a couple extra for good measure!!!!

VERY FRUSTRATING - And I know I only have myself to blame.

But I do love this forum, it is very supportive.

Perhaps we can use this post to report in to each other - The Frustrated!

I lost 10kgs about 6 years ago - pre-kids....Since then I am finding this WOL very difficult to stick with.
I can only lose when I stick below about 20Carbs - anything over that I maintain...and once I get to 40 carbs I start to gain!!!
again...FRUSTRATING!
Especially when I need to lose over 30 kgs!!!

111/103/65kgs
(original goal)

Stephanie - 6 years
Angus - 3.5 yrs
Phoebe - 2 years

PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2011 12:53 am 
Active Contributor

We seem to be on the same track. With my head hanging low I admit this entire year 2010 has been a sugar fest for me. I have gained 30 lbs and have gone up from a size 12 to a size 16 and 18 seems to be creeping up on me. More than anything my colesterol has gone up and I notice the difference in my self confidence and how others look at and/or treat me. I hate that I have let things get this far off track. I found myself laid off in early December and used that as an excuse to make fudge for everyone as a cheap gift well guess what happens when you are depressed, at home ALL day with a fridge full of fudge YOU EAT IT!!! I litterally ate 6 lbs of fudge in one month. My face broke out like I was a 12 year old again. Tonight my friend took a picture of me on her phone and it hit me hard how much i have gained. Everything has been purged from my fridge and pantry and I start again in the morning. I am ashamed and disappointed in myself but I guess today is the first day of the rest of my life.

183 Hit on 10-22-05
stgw 200 hit on 8-13-04
01/2011 Sadly back to 215
ltgw 165
lltgw 155
I AM A SUCCESS STORY AND
I WILL NOT BE ONE OF THE STATISTICS!!!

PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2011 5:42 pm 
Active Contributor

Arent we idiots Marci? How can a sane person who has full knowledge of how they are, willingly put themselves through this?? Again???

I went to a reunion (everyone that had been stationed in NEa MAkri Greece came together in Jun) The DVD finally got to us today - I am so ashamed of how I looked.

I need to get smart - no matter how much I dont want to be, I need to be.

This weekend my Eliptical machine was placed in my bedroom. I also lost 4 lbs this week (probably because of TOM going) and I know the 1st week is the biggest week - from here on out it's gonna get tough. But I dont care if the weight loss is slow I NEED to change.

I hope you can do this with me :)

(restarted 1st Jan, '11)

PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2011 9:16 pm 
Active Contributor

I am on board. i started induction again today. The next 2 weeks will be the hard part ad then i should be ok. i just cant let it keep going. yeah i started a new job with cameras everywhere and i saw my behind on the screen and about died. My reunion is in july so i need to make this happen or that milestone as well.

183 Hit on 10-22-05
stgw 200 hit on 8-13-04
01/2011 Sadly back to 215
ltgw 165
lltgw 155
I AM A SUCCESS STORY AND
I WILL NOT BE ONE OF THE STATISTICS!!!

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2011 12:13 am 

:) Hi everyone! I'm new to the board, and I've just been reading some of the dilemas regarding continued weight loss on the Induction phase. After I had my daughter, I had major trouble trying to lose the excess wieght(50 lbs.). Whenever I had gained weight in the past(maybe 20-25 lbs.), a low-fat diet and excercise worked, HOWEVER, this time was WAY DIFFERENT! Despite trying to lose the weight that way, it wouldn't budge for anything! I couldn't figure it out! I heard about the Atkin's Diet and decided to look into it. It went against everything that seemed sensible and had worked for me in the past. I studied the book and it started to make sense, so I thought I'd give it a try. I went by the book, yet could not get into ketosis for anything! Even went down to almost NO carbs, making sure I was eating enough calories to make sure my body didn't go into "starvation mode"(which INHIBITS weight loss). STILL nothing! Darn!! THEN, I read an article about hypothyroidism. Your thyroid regulates metabolism, as well as many other things. If it isn't producing enough thyroid hormone, you will have very low metabolism and have great difficulty losing weight no matter what you do. I decided to go to the Doc where they can do a simple blood test to determine the levels. Sure enough, I had Hypo(low)thyroidism and was put on thyroid medication. During this time, I started the Atkin's Diet strictly, as I had before. I went into ketosis by the 5th day and started losing alot of weight(without excercising),. . between 4-6 lbs. a week for two weeks. HOWEVER, after that, I went down to only losing maybe 1 pound the next week and I had not changed anything--I was still doing the Induction just the same way because I still had alot more weight to lose. Couldn't figure out why. Just like any diet, your body WILL adjust and you might still lose weight, but it slows. SO, I began lifting weights at home. Nothing major, but I did have to push myself. I didn't need much,.. just a pair of 10 lb. and a pair of 15 lb. barbells, and a pair of 5 lb. wrap-around ankle weights. Thats all. It's amazing that you can work almost all the major muscle groups in the body with those 3 things. Of course I could only do a small amount of repetitions at first, and was really sore, but I continued on, starting at 3X week and progressing to 5X week. I noticed that I immediately went into heavy ketosis again. At this point I ditched the scale and went by the way my body looked and the way my clothes fit(and also kept monitoring with the Ketosis sticks). The reason why I stopped weighing myself is that as you gain muscle, the scale will be incorrect.....MUSCLE WEIGHS MORE THAN FAT, YET RAISES YOUR METABOLISM BECAUSE MUSCLE BURNS FAT AT REST. That means that after your work-out(no slacking!), when sitting on the couch watching TV, you are burning fat doing nothing as you gain more muscle! Of course, it takes time to build muscle, but not as long as you might think if you do it with the right intensity. I then moved to circuit-training(using the same 3 sets of weights) which means you do the sets back-to-back(intermitten muscle groups) with no relaxing inbetween, which gives you even more of a fat-burning boost because it adds the aerobic element. I did this while on the Induction at the same time..but at first started to notice I was getting very dizzy. The problem was that I was not eating enough calories to cover my workout sessions. This is how I lost the 50 lbs. in 3 months. (I had to really study up on diet and excercise though! Atkin's is the way to go!!) :D

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2011 4:37 am 
Active Contributor

Hi guys.
I have just spent 2 weeks camping and overate all the wrong foods...But I am back and today is my first day back on Induction.
I am ready - I am fed up with being FAT!
I want to run around with my kids and just be a size I am comfortable in...

How is everyone else going??

111/103/65kgs
(original goal)

Stephanie - 6 years
Angus - 3.5 yrs
Phoebe - 2 years

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2011 6:09 am 
Frequent Contributor

Hi Jiblet and welcome. I sounds like you are having lots of success! That's great.

My DH and I started using P90X which we both like. We haven't worked out in over a week though. We got the crud big time around here and just now recovering. I think we'll start again this weekend.

My stomach has really been a mess since I got sick but hopefully I will be back to super lowcarb in the next couple days. I've been eating whole grains along with meat lately. I need to get back on Fitday and count calories too.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2011 2:38 pm 
Active Contributor

I hate thes stalls. Lost 4lbs the 1st week (but TOM came and went) lost 2 the next week and have had those 2 come and go ever since ... 4 weeks total.
I hate when I stall at the git go - I mean c'mon: give me a month of 2 lbs weight loss before you set me up for frustration.

I have been trying some new recipies from Linda's ... I am going to post what my week has been since Tuesday to see what someone else can make of it ... I need to be more precise I think in my measurments - something.

Seriously - 1lb a week gone and I would be happy - 2 and I would be estatic - more and the damn thing's (scale) broke!

I have one thing in my favor: I am dedicated at this moment. It will probably take me a couple weeks of non loosing before I slip - but I am going to keep this thread accessable to me - I always read my "in your face" posts to remind me of how much I hate where I am and want to be where I have been.

(restarted 1st Jan, '11)

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2011 7:10 pm 
Frequent Contributor

I'm back to strict induction myself. My story is much like Marci's. I just sat back this past year and watched the scale climb higher and higher and my clothes size get bigger and bigger. It stops now! I have been on induction since Monday and the really funny thing is, I LIKE eating low carb for the most part. Why do I stray and take so long to get back? I went to Sam's today and enjoyed shopping for veggies, cheeses, etc. I just had a roasted chicken breast for dinner and spinach artichoke dip with veggies.

Jiblet, I suffer from a hypo thryoid combined with an auto immune disease called Hashimotos. My numbers are all over the place. It's hard to lose but you are so spot on with the exercise. I need to get my fat butt moving!

Restarted January 5 2009

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 70 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next