Custom Search

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Powered by ® Forum Software © phpBB Group  
Everything Atkins  

• Search
  • Home
  • Atkins Phases
  • Atkins Sample Menus

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 70 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2011 6:08 pm 

Boy, Oh boy...Jennifer hit the nail on the head for me! This is my 4th time around and I should know better by now! I wish I knew why the pounds don't drop off like they did the first time around??? Any thoughts??? I even asked my Dr. and he had no explanation! Anyway, I guess it doesn't matter because I have to stay with this WOE for the rest of life due to diabetes. Hopefully, one day I'll lose enough weight and stick with this program so I won't have to take meds (oral) anymore!

I'm back on induction and will stay here until I can get out of my own way...

56ish - F - 5'10" - Very Large Frame
Induction: 02/22/12
318ish/313/290 Mini Goal (4/26)
5th time's a charm :-)

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2011 2:39 am 
Frequent Contributor

Hi Lisa,

well there is the Golden shot" theory but it baffles me, the science should work every time. My money is on the fact that we don't do it right on subsequent tries becasue we think we know it

Because you can read this, thank a teacher. Because it's in English, thank a soldier.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2011 11:43 am 
Frequent Contributor

Lisa, I think you can still lose on each subsequent try. I re-started Atkins for probably the.....oh, 10th or more time, haha, back in June of 2009 and was able to lose 40 pounds. (I am stuck there--can't seem to figure out a way to lose the last 10 or 15, but that's another issue for another post...)

It wasn't as fast or as easy as the first time, but my theory is that the diet doesn't change, but YOU do. My body is older, my metabolic rate is lower and slower and my hormone situation, being a female of "a certain age," is probably drastically different than it was those other times. But it still works.

I think you may have to tweak it a little to get it to work for your older (but wiser!) self--maybe limit calories, limit dairy, eliminate nuts, remove artificial sweeteners, things like that. I'd pick one area to tweak, change that, and watch for a couple of weeks to see what happens. If you change everything at once, something I've often been guilty of, you won't be able to tell which change made the difference for you!

I'd also urge you to start logging everything you eat on Fitday. As Jim said, when we're familiar with the diet and we think we can do it from memory, I think we aren't as stringent as we were the first time we did it. Recording everything can fix that problem!

Good luck and post often!

Loading 7/11-12, total lost: 24.6 pounds so far! (224/170.4/165)

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2011 2:17 pm 

Thank you Jim & Jessica for your thoughts.

I have been keeping track of everything I've been putting into my mouth on FitDay.
The only things I can see that may cause me trouble is the deli boiled ham and swiss cheese (2 oz. each) that I put on my lettuce each day. I just can't seem to get the lettuce down without it!

We'll see come weigh in day on Tuesday!

56ish - F - 5'10" - Very Large Frame
Induction: 02/22/12
318ish/313/290 Mini Goal (4/26)
5th time's a charm :-)

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2011 3:40 pm 
Frequent Contributor

Lisa, I want to invite you to join us on the Spring and Summer Slim Down 2011 thread. We're all ladies of "a certain age" who've been at this Atkins thing for quite some time now, and we'd be happy to have you join us.

Good luck with that weigh-in. I have been forgoing weighing for a while now (although that's something that's always scared me to death) and I think it's working out well for me. When you're stalled as long as I have been on the scale, it's more motivating to use measurements and how your clothes fit to gauge your progress!

Link to thread: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=39233&start=120

Loading 7/11-12, total lost: 24.6 pounds so far! (224/170.4/165)

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2011 5:26 pm 
Active Contributor

Still frustrated. I logged my food I stuck to my guns and then I started working out to help. I get up an hour early to get on the eliptical machine for 1.5 miles, then work on my arms then get on the floor for leg lifts. After a month I hadnt lost a pound and my clothes fit the same. a week later I loose 3 lbs.

Now here I am in my 3 week of my 2nd month and nothing - so what do I do? I have 2 slices of pizza and a large slice of pie. As if I really needed to go stupid - sheesh.

I feel myself sliding again. I started on Atkins Jan 1st and I am as heavy now as I was then - maybe even a few pounds more. Then I find out the mock danishes are 4 or 5 carbs and I was having those for breakfast. I have had a salad for lunch and meat for dinner - some times more veggies. Pork rinds were my munchies throughout the day a capocinno every 4 days, give or take.

I dont even feel the desire to get back on the wagon - even KNOWING nothing else works. And I still drag my self out of bed every morning from m-f and wonder when my brain muscle will kick in and I'll get this right.

Grrrrr

Jennifer (220/210/160)5' 7.5" ... 46 yrs old
(restarted 1st Jan, '11)

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2011 11:35 pm 
Frequent Contributor

Oh jennifer I fel for you, I really do love. It is so hard. I can only say, do it clean and green, no S/F no L/C and KISS, you can't do this unless you get your head sorted first.

Because you can read this, thank a teacher. Because it's in English, thank a soldier.

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2011 6:00 am 
Active Contributor

You're absolutely right Jim and since I can find a cage to stick myself in and still get my work done I have told myself that for 7 days (begining today) I will stick to the Induction exactly as I am suppose to, no l/c, s/f and no capocinno.

I have a very important event to go to at the end of Sept - had hoped to loose 40lbs by then ... will now just hope for 20lb. We'll see.

Jennifer (220/210/160)5' 7.5" ... 46 yrs old
(restarted 1st Jan, '11)

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2011 12:36 pm 

I am frustrated after only a month of low carb eating. I have been so faithful. The first 2 weeks I lost 10#...thought by now at least another 7-8 would have come off. NotHing!! For 2 solid weeks I have been doing this and have seen nothing at all. Seriously? I have been doing this for a month and the only result is 10#?
](*,) Is this even normal? My hubby and I ride motorcycle (me...a passenger) when we go by a store window and I see the reflection it is disgusting. I KNOW people ride behind us and see the overhang of my huge butt on the seat. I want so bad to get rid of this...What am I doing wrong?????? Please :help:
Pat

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2011 1:53 pm 
Frequent Contributor

Pat, what you are experiencing is call Post induction stall syndrome or PISS for short. Hang in there. It usually ends at about the 6 week mark.

exercise is NOT AN OPTION

"Muscle is hard to get and easy to lose.
Fat is easy to get and hard to lose."

F54 5'4" 163/150/130

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2011 4:32 pm 
Frequent Contributor

Pat, this is when most people give up. It really is very common ... almost universal ... that you lose well then stall for a while. Your body is just trying to figure what is up. Is she starving? Should I hang on to every calorie she eats until food becomes plentiful again? I think it is a throwback to our ancient ancestors.

Please don't give up. You also may be losing inches instead of pounds. It is a good idea to measure yourself when you first start and every couple weeks after that.

But even if you aren't losing anything in any way, please hang in there.

234.5/*219.2/212/149 (Low was 168.5) 64, 5"1"
DH 221/*211/205/?? 66, 5'10"
* As of 7/1/2011, we first started 8/23/03

"What would Jimmy Buffet Do?"
Search for "gooch47" to view my videos on www.youtube.com

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2011 5:53 am 

Thank you. Last night I "sort of" gave up. I ate lots of peanuts....then a huge chunk of cheese....SF peanut butter cups....Finally went to bed. I didnt actually eat tons of carbs and go off the wagon, but I know I overate....This morning? Yea a 1# gain...So now I am only at a 9# loss :oops:
I happen to be a very impatient person...I want results and I want them now. I was so positive in the beginning. I actually had gone on Atkins years ago and from Feb to June I had a 40# loss. What is happening?
I am so close to just giving up....Its like...why bother doing all this when there is no results? I'm sorry to be bringing this post down, but I am so sad right now

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2011 10:30 am 

Linda,
Is it "normal" to only be on this for 2 weeks and then stall? It just doesn't seem like it happened so fast years ago...Im really counting on your words because I am so frustrated right now....Keep thinking..."its normal" :lol:
Pat

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2011 12:02 pm 
Frequent Contributor

Yes, it is normal. It doesn't happen to everyone, but if we started a poll, I bet 75% or more would say it did happen.

And as we get older, it is so much harder to lose. Your metabolism (and in my case, my activity level) drops so much that it is really frustrating.

234.5/*219.2/212/149 (Low was 168.5) 64, 5"1"
DH 221/*211/205/?? 66, 5'10"
* As of 7/1/2011, we first started 8/23/03

"What would Jimmy Buffet Do?"
Search for "gooch47" to view my videos on www.youtube.com

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2011 12:09 pm 
Frequent Contributor

The stall is very common. Do hang in there, keep eating low carb, find a way to increase your activity and it will pick up again. I have experienced this several times I have restarted and it appears to be the norm for me. I will also go a few weeks with no losses after PISS and then suddenly 2 or 3 pounds will go in the next week or two. It's frustrating but as long as it comes off it is going in the right direction.

Restarted January 5 2009

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 70 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next