Powered by ® Forum Software © phpBB Group  
Everything Atkins  

• Search
  • Home
  • Atkins Phases
  • Atkins Sample Menus

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2006 3:28 pm 
Active Contributor

First of all I read this someplace else, but I thought it was important to let people here know what can happen if following the M/E fast.

This was written by a person that took things to far on the M/E fast, but fortunately she lived to tell about it.

She was NOT following Kimmers Experiment, but was doing a M/E fast, which (btw) is NOT Atkins...Dr. Atkins had a Fat Fast for those that are metabolically resistent.

Quote:
M/E Beware!

I have been home from the Hospital for just a week... and would have written this before, but did not know how to approach it, guess I was afraid of backlash from die hard M/E eaters... (that was me)

First let me say, I am a Low Carb Advocate... always will be... but I took things a little too far.... by doing M/E... NOT Kimmers Experiment, but M/E...

I was doing very well on Kimkins... lost a good amount of weight, then I switched to M/E... within a few days had a hard time "going"

Used a laxitive, and things were better except for some cramps...took a few days for those to go away.... back to Kimkins... all was OK...

A little stall in loss, and back to M/E... stopped "going" (again)... terrible cramps, (blamed it on the "net carb" candy for Easter)...( just 2 little Russel Stovers chocolates) 2nd day terrible cramps... 3rd day still cramps, and still did not "Go".... Passed out that evening (first for me!) an ambulance ride to the Hospital, where I spent the next 7 days, on large doses of intraveinous antibiotics.... Diagnosis??? Acute Diverticulitis! Never had it in my life!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I was SO sick, I can't even begin to express it.
When my doctors asked me about what happend I didn't know where to begin... any changes in diet?? well yes of course... I told them about the Atkins lo carb, and they said it wasn't the cause... had to be something that caused me to stop "going" I told them about M/E... Well I guess I don't have to tell you about the looks I got!!

I felt like a fool.... Now I am looking at a possible surgery, to remove the damaged part of my colon.

It was explained to me like this..... We all have Diverticuli in our colon... but sometimes when we strain to "go" or have a lot of pressure there for many reasons, little pouches form, usually not causing any problems, as we age, they become a little larger, if we are usually regular with our BM's we are fine... but when we jolt our systems into times of standstill, and non movement, things can fall into those little pouches and cause a lot of trouble. Especially if we eliminate fiber from our diet.... which as we all know can stop things up!

Anyway I was also told that Steak, was a very big culprit of this problem because is it a hard meat to digest, and eating a lot of it is not a good idea, also nuts and seeds are trouble too, especially when you can't "go" they are small and heavy and fall into these pouches, become surrounded with bacteria, and cause a major intestinal infection...

I have to be honest and admit I was eating steak 4 to 5 times a week on
M/E ...I love it... And I was mistaken in thinking it was just older people who suffered from this... one of my nurses 32 year husband (steak lover) has it too.. and so did several other people of all different ages.

SO now I am on a diet of high processed foods for the next 4 weeks, because my doctor does not want my stomach to do anything.... then I will have a Colonoscopy to assess the damage, and see if I need surgery to remove the affected area... (sheesh ... can't wait for that) ... if all goes well, I will be put on a high fiber diet...

I am not trying to deter anyone from any of the plans you are doing, but for goodness sakes if you get cramps (low) and they don't go away in a day, go to the doctor!!! You might have a problem! and it might NOT be the low carb candy!!! If I had not passed out, I would not have been taken to the hospital by ambulance, thus I would have just assumed I had a "bug" my colon could have very eaisly ruptured, and cause peritonitis, which could have killed me...

This is for everyone, but nobody in particular. It is for everyone and it is to be taken as a "heads-up!"

I would HATE to have this knowledge, and then find out one of our members ended up severely ill or worse, because I didn't share what I knew.

I'm posting this because I care about the members here, and wanted everyone to know that there are obviously dangers involved with only eating meat and eggs for a long time.

Good health and best wishes,
Lindy

sz26-sz16[b]wgt 271.5 - 197lbs
1/03 -5/08 = 78lbs gone for good!
Slow n' Steady Wins The Race
“All things are possible once enough human beings realize that everything is at stake.” –Norman Cousins

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2006 6:15 pm 
Active Contributor

THanks LIndy.

Who would have thought it ?!

Started Sept 29 2003, Lost 32 lbs very slowly. Lost nothing at all year 2 and regained a little year 3 and 4.

Went off plan and regained all weight
Recently diagnosed gluten sensitive and hypothyroid which explains the difficulty losing weight!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2006 9:49 pm 
Active Contributor

Hi Kikou,

I would have thought it, and felt it too if I didn't eat any vegetables for a long, long period of time. :oops:

Hugs,
Lindy

“All things are possible once enough human beings realize that everything is at stake.” –Norman Cousins

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2006 6:13 pm 

:) Thanks Lindy, good info.
Nice to see you active on the board again.
Take care girlfriend.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2006 8:49 pm 
Frequent Contributor

Lindy,

Do you think you could share the link to the page that you got that from? I'm interested in asking this person what the difference is between Kimkins and m/e.

Started Atkins June/03.
264/180 Goal Aug/08.

One Day At A Time
Don't trade what you want most for what you want right now!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2006 8:29 am 
Active Contributor

That is weird , I guess we all react differently to any diet and no one diet is good for everyone .. I did the M & egg on and off for a few months but I never had a problem going ... I was more regular than anything else .. but I am more a chicken eater .. I eat very little red meat so maybe thats why I didn`t have a problem with it .

Coasty ... I think Kim Kins allows for a few carbs all coming things like green leafy veggies ( staying between 5 to 15 carbs a day ) I don`t remember all the details .

227/ 115/112 goal(Atkins 227 to 178- switched to my own diet ...178 to goal !)
started 7/05/03
124 lbs GONE FOREVER :)

My MOTTO : CHEATING DOESN`T GET YOU TO GOAL !

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2006 11:25 am 
Frequent Contributor

Hi Nee,

Yes, it was the same with me when on m/e, more regular also. I agree that some things affect people differently. It is possible that she had problems with constipation before as well and going on m/e for an extended period of time just made her problem worse.

Thanks for sharing Lindy.

Started Atkins June/03.
264/180 Goal Aug/08.

One Day At A Time
Don't trade what you want most for what you want right now!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2006 2:15 pm 
Active Contributor

Hi Coasty, You have a private message (finally)! :D

Hi Shianne, I'm happy to see you again too! :D

Hi Nee, I agree 100%, "I guess we all react differently to any diet and no one diet is good for everyone..." absolutely true (imho). :wink:

Hi Kikou, I hope this finds you doing great, and that goes for all of you! \:D/

Big Hugs,
Lindy

Post subject: very good information
PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2007 9:35 pm 

very good information..
i have been so stopped up... and now i know

I am at goal maintaining
MY SPACE

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2007 11:30 am 

Yep.. I was a strict M&Egger until I realized it wasn't the way to go.. Thanks for posting.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2007 1:45 pm 
Active Contributor

:bump:

Because I care about you all. Also, because I have had a bad feeling about this all along. Now, and investigation has been done finding "Kimkins" to be a fake that made up the diet and aparently doesn't follow it herself or slipped hard off of it? I have no idea, but I care about the members here so here's what I heard a few minutes ago.

I know that "everyone is different" but we do not know the longterm affects of extreme dieting. I do consider eating only meat/fat/eggs and next to no carbs "extreme dieting" since our ancestors were hunters and gathers weren't they? :-k

Did anyone see "The Morning Show" this morning? Or it is called, "The Mike and Juliette Show"? The are doing "diet scam investigations" uncovered and today's was Kimkins or Kimmers. :? If you go to their website "The Morning Show" go to:

OR CLICK ON THE LINK BELOW:

Next click on the "Diet Scam" link for a clip or info.

It was a "diet scam" investigation (fair and balanced) into "Kimmers" -aka - Heidi Diaz (true name) that was using a "catalog mail order bride's" photo for her screen pic on another very followed site. :shock: *GULP*

Either Kimmers has gained all of her weight back or the July 2007 footage of her shows that she has gained a whole lotta weight back. Maybe she slipped up? I do not know.

This is for those that were having troubles on kimkins and everyone else too.

On the Morning Show (mike and juliette) TV show Christine Shereburn (was a follower and lost over 100lbs).

She followed "Kimmers" weight loss method (meat, egg, zero to extremely little carbs to no carbs), but ended up extremely ill, losing hair, and having health difficulties.

I'm just wondering if anyone else saw the program this morning?

How did you all do on Thanksgiving? I wish you all well, but I was curious to know if [i]anyone besides me and DH saw this "investgation of KimKins Diet"??[/i]

I will put up an update for those interested on the Off Topic forum regarding my health.

Briefly (yeah right - lol), I have been in two seperate ER's in the past month. I had a botched attempted apiration of my breast, then was squeezed into outpatient surgery. I caught a staff infection. I was overdosed at one ER, and severely dehydrated at the first one...after my surgeon had recommended "hand in there for a couple more days" before my 1st E.R. visit...where they pumped me full of fluids, my blood pressure was 120/51, resting heart rate 99!! :cry: I did NOT wait "a couple more days"...I had DH drive me to the E.R., and it is a blessing that I took my health care into my own hands. Nobody around me understood/stands what doctor ordered bedrest, and dehydration were/are. :evil:

Big Hugs, have a great weekend!
Lindy :D [/b]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2007 2:51 pm 
Frequent Contributor

Hi Lindy..yes I read and heard about Kimkims and realized she was a fraud..but I clicked on the links and they talked about trimspa and ab cream only.....unless there was another link I missed...but yes eating NO carbs is BAD.....I never tried it and would never

Do it for your Health and nothing else. It isn't the size that matters but how healthy you are.