Powered by ® Forum Software © phpBB Group  
Everything Atkins  

• Search
  • Home
  • Atkins Phases
  • Atkins Sample Menus

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2006 11:07 pm 
Frequent Contributor

RULES FOR THE 3 DAY EXPERIMENT! READ THOROUGHLY!

Protein only (lean for best results)
Skip unnecessary fats like cheese and cream
Skip alcohol (yes, all forms!)
Skip junk protein like pepperoni and pork rinds
Drink diet beverages and plain coffee & tea as desired
Use artificial sweeteners as desired
No calorie counting
No cheating (it's 3 days!)
Eat a Centrum type vitamin each day

It is advised that you also skip chicken wings if you are having a real slow weight loss.

Eat to appetite. If you're hungry, eat. If you're not hungry, don't eat. No need to force yourself to eat when you're not hungry. Do not count the carbs in eggs, diet beverages, plain coffee or tea. Your carbs will pretty much be non-existent if you stick to these rules. Within three days, you should be in deep ketosis with a much suppressed appetite. Remember, after two days, if you have lost 3 to 5 lbs, then you were over on your carbs (per Kimmer). You don't have to do 5 carbs or less. Kimmer NEVER said that. She just said to keep your carbs as low as possible, and as long as you are sticking to these rules, like I said before, your carbs should pretty much be non-existent.

The Basics of the Experiment and Kimmer’s Experience

The purpose of the "experiment" is to show how 'real' ketosis feels ... no appetite, excellent weight loss. That the carbs are very, very low or 0 is key. This is what Dr. A was talking about in Induction! When we severely restrict carbs, our bodies (who DON'T want to use body fat for energy!), will go to the glycogen in our livers. When that's used up (3 days roughly), it's like a flood gate is opened and our bodies give up a lot of extra water ... that's the 3-7 pounds people lose in the first few days.

Actually I did Stillman's for 3 days to get into ketosis ASAP (I am deathly afraid of being hungry!) The difference between this "experiment" and Stillman's is picking any protein you like ... Stillman's is "lean" only. Then I moved onto Atkins Induction and stayed for 6 months (<20 carbs, no 'treats') and with zero appetitite, I was fine eating relatively few calories.

However, if I were going to do it today, I would have stayed on Stillman's the whole time ... easier, less cooking/shopping, faster. The quantities of veggies I was eating wasn't enough to seriously contribute nutritionally ... IMO, of course. The downside for many would be boredom, but I'm not bored at all losing 4-7 pounds a week!

Kimkins is what someone termed how I lost my weight ... my version of Atkins:
· <20 carbs (no fiber subtraction)
· 70-90 gm protein,
· just enough fat to make your menus work
absolutely no LC treats!

Some people have never experienced what I term 'real' ketosis with the strong appetite suppression (OK, nausea) and very rapid weight loss. This is a chance to see what it's like.

Warning - not everyone likes the feeling, even if you're losing faster than scientifically possible (per the 3500 calorie deficit = equals 1 pound theory).

I lost 160 pounds in 7 months, then took 3 months to do the last 20. Over the past 3 years I've lost a few more to equal 200 lbs total.

The idea of the 3 day experiment is to show what 'real' ketosis feels like. Keep in mind that if someone is carbed-up (especially if they do it on purpose), they may need 5 days to get rid of the excess glycogen in their liver.

After you're in ketosis, GRADUALLY slip into the LC program of your choice. Naturally, the fewer carbs the better the loss. Lower calorie choices will provide faster loss than higher calories.

BUT ... you want to make it livable for your lifetime. Any of us can fall back on pure protein to make up for a lax weekend. You're harming your body when you assault it with sugar (carbs) ... which, chances are, aren't coming from nutritious, high antioxidant sources ... more like good 'ol comfort food.

For the 3-5 days, skip the extra fats (cheeses). When you begin switching to a LC plan, watch the cheese as the calories really add up quick.
Yeah, dairy sounds innocent but the choices on LC are essentially fats with double the calories of protein or carbs. I love cheese, sour cream, cream cheese, heavy cream and butter as much as the next person, but at 100 calories per miniscule serving ...

Keep in mind that calories count, not just carbs. It's possible to eat only 17 carbs if you ate 3 cups of mayonnaise (ewwww!) But check out that 5000 calorie count!

And that wouldn't even include the protein you'd eat throughout the day (not that you'd want to eat anything after downing a glass of mayo, LOL!) uick!
Eat as much as you like, drink as much as you like and absolutely use protein as a snack! I like steak chunks, tuna salad or fresh hard boiled eggs (don't like 'em cold ...) They have .6 per large egg. Eggs are actually two thirds fat!

During my weight loss phase I counted every carb ... eggs, coffee, tea, diet soda, cheese ... all the "little" ones because they sure add up fast!

For purposes of this experiment, skip the .6 carb count for eggs.

What to Expect

People who are on Day 3 and haven't lost, you may be the few that need to go 5 days to deplete your glycogen (think back to what you ate before you started the 3 Day). The weight loss will come, and impressively.

Other 'slow' losers, wait one more day, when you see the big WHOOSH (like others have posted), then you know the glycogen is gone. And we should keep in mind digestive issues ...

Ahhhh, that's the thing! If you were at 20-30 carbs, then give it 1-2 more days. When you see the 2 lb WHOOSH, you're on your way! Interesting trivia is that on this BB, the largest percentage of people who 'stall' after Induction are at 25-30 carbs. You will lose even more if you're exercising (you'll also achieve ketosis faster because your body is yanking the glycogen out of your liver!) It's a good thing!

Using the Experiment as a benchmark

Reminder ... weigh yourself on Day 2. If you've lost more than 3-5 pounds, you were over on carbs before. Keep in mind that if you lost 3+ pounds in the 3 days, you were over on carbs before ... something to keep in mind when picking carb choices!

Note to the 'hungry' folks. This is a sure sign that you were over on carbs before. Everyone keep in mind that your body DOES NOT want to convert to body fat for fuel! Your body always wants to take the easy route, which is sugar (carbs). This is why when people first do Induction (or this 3 day thing), they feel tired, cranky, have cravings ... their brain is sending a HARD message that it wants fuel, NOW. Those who stick with Induction without caving in are rewarded with ketosis, weight loss and reduced appetite ... their bodies have SUCCESSFULLY converted to burning body fat! Now, those folks who 'relax' on weekends send their bodies back to Square 1 and cravings. These are also the people who 'feel better' after eating carbs and mistakenly think their bodies 'need them'. Wrong. Their bodies wanted sugar and they obliged ... vicious cycle.

That you're still hungry on Day 3 would tell me that you were "over" on carbs before you started and your body is still processing them. Your glycogen isn't depleted yet. Wait 2 more days, check your loss and wait for the appetite suppression.

How much to eat

Don't eat until you get hungry (mildly hungry, don't wait until you're starving!) Don't count calories, don't cut back on quantities ... EAT if you're hungry

I got 2 PMs from people who are "hungry". EAT!!! Snack on more HB eggs, make an omelette, fry up a steak, throw some chickie pieces on your Foreman grill ... eat! The appetite suppression is coming, honest!

Don't cave in with a "taste" of carbs. You'll be back at square 1. Again.

Don't worry about the protein/glucose conversion. Want proof? Look at how much you'll lose in 3 days. . if you're hungry, eat! Just avoid ANY and all CARBS!

no cheese! Protein only!

Liquids

Drink what your body tells you. I find that I'm more thirsty in ketosis (and I've noticed others posting the same on this BB).

Don't force liquids, drink what you need. If you're keeping with ONLY protein & NO carbs, yes, drink diet soda until your eyes fall out of their sockets.

Foods to eat and foods to avoid

Eat eggs until they ban you from the store, LOL! Eggs are an incredible, edible food! Your "pizza" is perfectly fine. Watch for an appetite change when you wake up tomorrow ... remember, no carbs! If you can, skip the mustard and soy sauce for now. If you can't, use the least amount possible. I'd avoid the pork rinds, they're very high calories and you can snack away more than you intended, LOL!

Don't worry about the carbs in the eggs ... those are the 'innocent' ones that come naturally with protein.

Yes, use the fat you normally use for cooking. I wouldn't suggest "extra" fats as in whipped cream or cream cheese because they tend to end up as high calorie desserts ... appetite or not!

Ketosis and the Sticks

Hey, don't rely on the sticks to tell you if you're in ketosis (stick addicts won't be able to help themselves, LOL!)

Check your scales! If you've lost weight (and I'm thinking 4-5 pounds or more ... yes, water weight, but who cares!) ... you're in ketosis!

Bathroom issues

don't like the side effects of laxatives (cramping, working "too well" if you know what I mean, LOL) and I've found that milk thistle has an excellent laxative effect ... perfect, actually.

I take milk thistle as a spectacular liver protector! In European hospitals, the ERs administer milk thistle for those who have eaten poisonous mushrooms (apparently it's a fairly common situation). I would imagine they use huge doses, but the point is that the people don't die. Milk thistle actually helps repair liver tissue! I buy a big 180 capsule bottle at Wal Mart for $14 and I take 4 a day (2 & 2). Do a web search for info (and no toxicity!)

What to do after the Experiment

After the 3 days, you can either stay on protein ... or transition to Atkins Induction (or whatever program you're following).

You need to keep your carbs very low after the 3 days or you'll get out of ketosis!

From a health standpoint, you would be OK as long as you take supplements to compensate for the veggies/fruits you aren't eating ... ditto on straight Atkins or Stillman's.

You want to begin adding veggies when you're within 20 pounds of goal so you can practice making food choices and not be overwhelmed

After the 3 days you can decide what you want to do:

1) Continue on protein & naturally occurring fats until close to goal

2) Begin adding SMALL servings of very low carb veggies

3) Go to Atkins Induction (but depending on your definition of "Induction", this can backfire!)

Yes, more than 3 days is fine. Be sure to take a Centrum type vitamin each day.

Absolutely introduce your carbs slowly when you begin. Try a SMALL salad at lunch, another at dinner type of thing. Slowly work your way up to however fast/slow you want to lose

If you keep your carbs VERY VERY low, you'll stay in this state of "no hunger" and rapid weight loss ... if that's what you want (not everyone does!)

Going to LC treats will almost guarantee your quick departure from Ketosis Central ... something to consider.

Nothing about the "experiment" can backfire. What you're doing is keeping carbs very, very low (or non existent). For people who have a difficult time losing, Dr. Atkins advised reducing carbs to 15 or 10 ... "or for especially difficult cases, 0 carbs".

Link to

GOOD LUCK!!! :D If you are doing this please share your experience with us. Also, post any tips that you think might help others.

If you are wondering what to do after finishing the 3 day experiment, it is advised that you transition into Atkins 1972 induction for the first week, then DANDR induction after that.

Atkins 1972 Induction (Level One):

List of foods for level one:

MEATS:
Steaks; Corned Beef; Lamb chops; tongue; Hamburgers;
Bacon; Any kind of meat in any quantity except meat with fillers such as sausage, Hot dogs; meatballs; most packaged cold cuts.
FOWL:
Duckling; Turkey; Chicken; Anything with wings; no stuffing.
FISH:
All fish including canned salmon; Tuna; Any kind of sea food; including oil packed and smocked EXCEPT Oysters; clams; mussels; scallops; and pickled fish.
EGGS:
Boiled; Fried; Scrambled; Poached; Omelets -any style and with no limitation.

DESSERTS:
Gelatin with artificial sweeteners.
CONDIMENTS:
Salt; Pepper; Mustard; Horse Radish ;Vinegar; Vanilla and other extracts; Artificial sweeteners; Any dry powder spice which contain no sugar.
DRINKS:
Water; Mineral water; Vichy; Club soda; Beef or Chicken broth; Bullion; Sugar free diet soda; Coffee(limited amounts);Tea; Decaffeinated coffee.

SALADS:
Two SMALL salads (each less than one cupful loosely packed) made only of leafy greens, celery, or cucumber and radishes. Dressings with vinegar, oil, dry spices, herbs, grated cheese, or anchovies. Or else a sour pickle in place of a salad. Plus green olives.
ANY FATS:
Fats have no carbohydrates.
Juice:
Juice of one lemon or lime.
Cheese:
FOUR ounces of any hard aged cheese. NO cream cheese or cheese spreads.
HEAVY CREAM:
Four tablespoons a day.( Cream has less carbohydrates than milk-so don’t use milk)

Started Atkins June/03.
264/180 Goal Aug/08.

One Day At A Time
Don't trade what you want most for what you want right now!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2006 11:40 pm 
Frequent Contributor

I am going to do this for 7 days and I started yesterday.

Yesterday:

Start weight: 244 lbs

B: 2 eggs
S: 1 chicken thigh, diet cherry vanilla coke.
L: 1 chicken thigh, sockeye salmon, diet rite cola.
S: green tea with stevia.
S: 1 pepperoni (bad choice...was hungry), diet rite cola.
D: 2 chicken thighs, diet rite raspberry.
S: fresca, s/f popsicle
S: 2 egg custard
Water: 3 litres
Exercise: BFL upper body workout, 30 min recumbant bike.

Toda:

Weight: 241 lbs

B: 2 eggs, 4 bacon, green tea with stevia.
L: 2 chicken thighs, hot sauce, diet rite cola.
S: coffee with soy creamer
D: sockeye salmon, diet rite cola, diet rite raspberry
S: white tea with stevia.
Water: 3 litres
Exercise: 50 min walk

Started Atkins June/03.
264/180 Goal Aug/08.

One Day At A Time

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2006 12:00 pm 
Frequent Contributor

Day 3:

Weight: 240 lbs (down 4 lbs so far)

will report menu and exercise later on tonight.

Started Atkins June/03.
264/180 Goal Aug/08.

One Day At A Time

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2006 2:30 am 
Frequent Contributor

Day 4:

Weight: 239 lbs (down 5 lbs on m/e, 11 lbs in 16 days)

B: 2 eggs, small steak, white tea with stevia.
S: slice of ham before going to the gym
S: elk jerky
L: chicken thigh and some breast meat, hot sauce, fresca.
S: coffee with soy creamer
D: sockeye salmon, diet rite cola
S: bit of italian sausage (salty :o), diet rite.
S: black coffee
Water: 3.5 litres

Exercise: BFL lower body and ab workout, then a 30 min walk this evening.

Started Atkins June/03.
264/180 Goal Aug/08.

One Day At A Time

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2006 4:08 pm 
Frequent Contributor

I ended up losing 4 lbs doing this for one week.

Started Atkins June/03.
264/180 Goal Aug/08.

One Day At A Time

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2006 9:10 pm 
Active Contributor

HI Coasty,
Glad to see you are still at it. I kept doing it and made myself stopped up. I am a bit scared to do this again. I think I will just get back to atkins 72 and see how that treats me.
Marci

183 Hit on 10-22-05
stgw 200 hit on 8-13-04
01/2011 Sadly back to 215
ltgw 165
lltgw 155
I AM A SUCCESS STORY AND
I WILL NOT BE ONE OF THE STATISTICS!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2009 5:07 pm 
Active Contributor

can we eat rotisserea chicken on this? I only ask because of the seasoning.

183 Hit on 10-22-05
stgw 200 hit on 8-13-04
ltgw 165
lltgw 155
I AM A SUCCESS STORY AND

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2009 2:49 pm 
Active Contributor

So I started this today and ate a HB egg for breakfast and didn't really have an appetite. I bought a steak to make steak cubes and it smelled so good I ate the whole thing and now I am starving. I can't believe after eating a whole steak that my stomach is growling but I guess it kicked in my metabloism.

183 Hit on 10-22-05
stgw 200 hit on 8-13-04
ltgw 165
lltgw 155
I AM A SUCCESS STORY AND

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2009 4:56 pm 
Frequent Contributor

Meat (protein) doesn't have the staying power that vegetables do. You digest it fairly quickly, I suppose, compared to vegetables containing a lot of fiber. I would guess that is why you get hungry quicker.

234.5/*219.2/212/149 (Low was 168.5) 64, 5"1"
DH 221/*211/205/?? 66, 5'10"
* As of 7/1/2011, we first started 8/23/03

"What would Jimmy Buffet Do?"
Search for "gooch47" to view my videos on www.youtube.com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2009 10:39 pm 
Active Contributor

I would have thought it was the opposite but the fiber does make sence.

183 Hit on 10-22-05
stgw 200 hit on 8-13-04
ltgw 165
lltgw 155
I AM A SUCCESS STORY AND

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2009 3:13 pm 
Active Contributor

Well when I started I had eaten a ton of salt the night before and I know i was retaining water but i was at 198 (never thought I would see that number again) this morning 193 obviously it was water weight but a much more welcomed number.
I am starving and I cant seem to eat enough!!! Yes I had cheated and know for a fact I was back into my old eating habits of eating chocolate when stressed just because it was there. I can't wait to get back to where I was and I really can't wait to hit goal.
I think I am feeling Ketosis I have a fuzzy headed feeling with bouts of energy. It was was a bit weird today though I was craving sweets (which I normally could care less about) and then I thought to myself ok you are doing this to make up for the candy you ate last week so GET OVER IT! and shortly after I got the energy spike. Man I hate this addiction but at least I am taking steps to fix it. I will report my loss tomorrow after my morning weigh in.

183 Hit on 10-22-05
stgw 200 hit on 8-13-04
ltgw 165
lltgw 155
I AM A SUCCESS STORY AND

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 10:58 pm 
Active Contributor

Back down to 190 now. I am happy that the weight is coming off again.

183 Hit on 10-22-05
stgw 200 hit on 8-13-04
ltgw 165
lltgw 155
I AM A SUCCESS STORY AND

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2009 6:39 pm 

Kimmer's diets have been proven to be dangerous.

Meat and eggs maybe for a couple of days but dont you just put back on what you lost when you eat anything other than meat and eggs?

As far as Kimkins, Kimmer has been found to weigh about 300 lbs and was using a picture of a russian bride from the internet saying it was her in Womans World mag.

Do research before you take any recommendations from Kimmer.

222/216/150 6/17/09

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2009 4:57 am 
Frequent Contributor

I dont think anyone stays on Kimmers here for long periods of time really. I use it, when I go off plan for any reason, I do kimmers for 2-3 days..maybe a bit longer. And I dont put the weight back on as soon as I start eating higher carbs again.

I would never recommend it for very long periods though. And who could do it for a long time. One would want to gag at the site of an egg lol

279.5/190.75/175.0
88.75 lbs down
first goal - 205lbs - April 2/09
Onederland hit..April 23/09
second goal - 193lbs

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2011 11:08 am 

AS I was going over the boards and reading everything - I thought I would add an update to this story line

This is a great link as well as the info below

"kimmers" has met her fate- and has been ordered amongst other things to place this on her websites - which I see are still open

The California Riverside County Superior Court has ruled in Jeanessa Fenderson, et al. v. Heidi Diaz, Kimkins, Case No. 483005 that Heidi Diaz and Kimkins have engaged in false advertising and fraudulent business practices. The Court found that Defendants Kimkins and Heidi Diaz aka "Kimmer" during the class period, (January 1, 2006 through October 15, 2007, hereinafter "Class Period") have falsely represented the success of the Kimkins diet in that Heidi Diaz, as creator of the Kimkins diet, lied about her representations concerning the amount of weight she lost on the Kimkins diet. The Court also found that the "after diet" images promoted to be Heidi Diaz aka "Kimmer" following the alleged use of her Kimkins diet, posted on the Kimkins.com website and advertisements during the Class Period were not Heidi Diaz, but were actually misappropriated images of models who were used to mislead the public into believing that Heidi Diaz aka "Kimmer" was successful in her weight loss. The Court also found that Defendants, Kimkins and Heidi Diaz aka "Kimmer" used false testimonials on the Kimkins website during the Class Period to mislead the public as to the success of the Kimkins diet. The Court also found that Kimkins and Heidi Diaz aka "Kimmer" used misappropriated photographs of 41 models that were used with false testimonials on the Kimkins.com website during the Class Period to mislead the public as to the success of the Kimkins diet.

2011 (reinduction March 1st)
246/231/135 (15 lbs in the first month! woohoo)

2008 (7 months)
230/203/135

2003 (8 months)
242/192/135