Powered by ® Forum Software © phpBB Group  
Everything Atkins  

• Search
  • Home
  • Atkins Phases
  • Atkins Sample Menus

Post subject: Dr Cohen's plan
PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2007 4:30 am 

His website certainly looks impressive, and the gallery shows many people have lost really substatial amounts of weight on it. One UK man claims to have lost 330 lb in ten months.

So - what's the dirt on the Cohen Diet? Is there any? I might be tempted to pay him £140 of my hard-earned if his results are better than I am getting on Atkins.

Anyone?

Helena

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2007 4:55 am 
Frequent Contributor

I've not heard of him Helena, do you have a link to his website. I'd be careful, I found that most people who wanted to charge you were pikers...

Because you can read this, thank a teacher. Because it's in English, thank a soldier.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2007 6:24 am 
Frequent Contributor

There is a real controversy going on around here about something called Kimkims. This is an extreme form of low carbing that claims the same sort of thing. Extreme weight loss in a very short period of time, mostly due to very low calorie intake. I went to a message board on the Cohen diet and it sounded very similar.

It is my not so humble opinion that these kinds of plans are doomed to fail. First, when you starve yourself, your body actually shuts down and won't burn any fat. It is a survival technique our ancient ancestors developed. Second, you are continuously thinking about food since your body is giving you signals it needs to be fed. So it is more likely that you will cave and go into binge mode. And third, eating extremely low calorie meals doesn't really teach you how to eat correctly. Once you stop eating that way, you are bound to gain it back.

I know because I've been there. In the 80's I participated in a commercial diet program called Diet Center. I went every day and was weighed, bought expensive supplements, and starved myself. I lost a lot of weight and gained it back quicker than I lost it. Dr. Atkins way of eating taught me what I was doing wrong and even though I'm not a total success story, I am much better off than I would have been.

234.5/*219.2/212/149 (Low was 168.5) 64, 5"1"
DH 221/*211/205/?? 66, 5'10"
* As of 7/1/2011, we first started 8/23/03

"What would Jimmy Buffet Do?"
Search for "gooch47" to view my videos on www.youtube.com

Post subject: Re: Dr Cohen's plan
PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2010 8:23 pm 

My friend started Cohen's in January and she's already half way to her goal - something like 20kg since then and another 20 to go. I considered it myself but it seems very restricted and it is very expensive where we live too - $1400 for the initial 3 or 4 months I believe.

She has tried Atkins (and many others over the years) and this is the one that has worked for her. I think that is the key with dieting, everyone has a diet that works for them and Cohen's must be the one for her.

I think it works on the basis that everyone has got hidden allergies to certain food and they take blood samples and all this kind of stuff and work out what you should be eating and what you should avoid at all costs. It does seem quite similar to Atkins but without all the butter and cream that Atkins allows. After about 16-20 weeks they review your progress and if you have reached your desired weight you can very gradually try introducing some food to see how your body reacts - if you get a sudden weight gain then I assume that's something you should avoid from then on.

I was looking at the Cohen's site this week and there are stories on there that I wouldn't have believed if I hadn't seen my friend shrink almost before my eyes. She was the same, she knew a couple of people who'd done it and she'd witnessed them shrinking too which is what encouraged her to try it. As it is such an expensive diet, I think most people would only attempt it if they knew someone who had got real results from it - you just wouldn't believe it otherwise.

Alas, Atkins didn't work for me and I don't think Cohen's will either so I'm back on calorie counting - I don't seem to be able to survive without a bit of bread and pasta! :wink:

T/W - 145 lb
Height 5'5"
F/35