Custom Search

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Powered by ® Forum Software © phpBB Group  
Everything Atkins  

• Search
  • Home
  • Atkins Phases
  • Atkins Sample Menus

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 85 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2009 6:46 am 

Hi all... Okay, I feel a bit out of sorts. Maybe it's stress. I'll be moving within the next month and going back to school in less than two. Maybe that's it....

I've gotta eat something... fast! Last night it dawned on me that all I'd eaten is a chicken shawarma sandwich, a little bit of tabbouli and a small grapeleaf. I was already in bed. I was hungry, but not starving. This morning I'm hungry, but still not starving. HOWEVER, I need to eat something...

I was down another 2 pounds yesterday, and last week was not a stellar week by any means. I drank some rum runners and got very sick. So much that I think it will be a long time before I drink again. Very long... The the days following, I just ate whatever I wanted within reason. No overeating and no junk (except for frozen yogurt Sunday). I was just sick my stomach...

It started me thinking about a lot things though. I should be kinder to my body. I'm not saying that I'll never eat junk again, or that there will never be a day that I don't eat just a tad bit too much. I think that's like a Thanksgiving Day requirement! lol I think it is time to start taking better care of myself though.

For instance if I want something sweet for my reward meal, there's no reason it can't be fruit instead of a cookie. Why not have half a cup of frozen yogurt instead of a full one? I'm not doing this eating plan perfect yet, but I think I'm evolving...

Okay, yesterdays deeds...
Well, you know what I ate. Not enough. I will do better today....
Exercise: 2 mile run/ walk.

I hope everyone is well. Have a great day ladies!

230 / 230 / 160

1st goal - ONEderland by July 13, 2009 - Weight 202. Not there yet.

TO READ MY JOGGING BLOG PLEASE CLICK THE WEBSITE (WWW) BUTTON BELOW:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2009 6:14 am 

Good morning! :D Well almost. As soon as I have my coffee...

Burty, I didn't answer you yesterday. Sorry about that...
Yes, I'm still running. I missed 2 days last week, but otherwise the plan is to do it 4 times a week. Usually 2 on and 2 off.
The other day when I was running, I felt lighter. Even though I know I'm not that much lighter from when I started, it felt that way. I felt more aerodynamic. It's getting easier and hurting less. Usually I drink a lot of water during the day, but when I don't, it makes a huge difference.

I think waiting a while to use Crystal Light is a good idea. Then experiment. Last night I was happy to discover that sugar free jello pudding has sucralose. So guess what I'm having for dessert today! :lol: Hawaiian Punch Light (the prepared version, not the powder) has it as well. I don't remember the name of it, but there are these drinks at Kmart that have it also. So if you find that aspartame causes you problems there are many options.

Shauna... Are you around? I hope all is well. I tried Stevia over the weekend. My boyfriend got some coffee for me and added it. It tasted "herbally" lol, but I heard that it doesn't cause spikes in insulin and is not as processed at other sweeteners. Is that true?

Well, I'm off....

Yesterdays deeds:
1.5 mile walk (to pick up my lunch)
rm: Falafel sandwich with tabbouli and hummous, mango.
cm: Salad with chicken chunks, onions, romaine, ranch...

230 / 230 / 160

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2009 8:18 pm 

Hi Amanda! I'm around. I'm still attempting to figure out the CAD way of eating. So far, in the last 11 days, my weight has fluxuated up and down and I'm still sitting at about the same as my posted weight, give or take a few ounces. (I think I'm probably about 1/2lb heavier but I haven't checked on the Wii since the 10th.)

So, my theory (one of many) is that either I'm overdoing it with the RM, I'm triggering insulin release somehow, and/or I'm not regular.... Those are just 3 of the possible reasons I'm not loosing the 2+ pounds a week that the book says is possible.

Another thing I've noticed is that I'm often hungry. I know that one of the reasons for this could be if an insulin release is triggered but this happens even when I don't eat ANYTHING that could account for it. I've drastically cut back on the coffee (some days I don't have any but others I'll have a cup, but I watch for any possible reactions), I don't chew gum and I don't snack AT ALL (per the book). But right now, I'm bbq-ing burgers and I'm STARVING!! It takes quite a bit of willpower to not eat anything before supper is ready so I don't start my hour early, lol. Not that I eat for an hour but you never know...

So, I think that my hunger could be from not eating enough at breakfast but it's very difficult to eat early in the morning (I leave for work at 7:30) but if I don't eat, there's no way I can make it until noon. Sometimes I just take some deli meat and eat it at 10am when I have my break. Then I'm usually ok until lunch but I'm still hungry by noon (and starving by about 9-9:30a until I actually eat my CM breakfast of sorts). For lunch I usually eat a can of tuna with 2 tbsp real mayo, 1.5c of romaine and a couple of small dill pickles for lunch. But then, like I said, by 5pm I'm ravenous. Why hasn't my appetite diminished? :cry:

As for artificial sweenteners and insulin release, I don't know what to tell you. I researched online the other night and found so many contradictory things that I'm more confused than ever. Some people say stevia causes insulin spikes and some say it's a 'your mileage may vary' type of thing for ALL sweeteners. I decided to have a cup of coffee with Splenda yesterday morning and was totally disgusted by the aftertaste (which I'd NEVER noticed before). That convinced me to skip the splenda this morning. So, I still don't really know if either Splenda or stevia is fine and if I have a coffee, I'll have it with my liquid stevia.

I just realized that I forgot all about posting this. I started writing it about 3 hours ago, lol. I've completely lost my train of thought!

I'm very pleased that your weight loss is continuing! That alone gives me hope. Now, if I could just experience a similar lack of appetite, I'd be really happy!

200/173/155
5' 9" F 38
S 09/03/07
Restarted April 27/09
203/187.6/155

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2009 6:46 am 

Good morning Shauna. :D

My friend is always telling me (because I need to be told often), Rule Number One: Don't panic! lol

I used to have the same problem with breakfast. What I learned is to treat breakfast as a lunch. Lots of fiber and protein.

I think everyone's response to sweeteners vary. So it's important to experiment. Even though I swear by Splenda, if I have too much I get hungry. I figured that out when I was coming back from my run/walks starving and couldn't eat enough. I thought it was the new workouts, then I figured out it was all the Splenda I was drinking in the Powerade.

There's also the basic stuff to consider: Are you getting enough protein and fiber when it is time to eat (Which could be your issue)? Are you having breath mints or low carb candies? Are you drinking enough water? Does the deli meat have sugar. Oftentimes it does.

I figured out a while back that if I don't add any other fibrous veggies to my salads, I crave. I can't have just lettuce. I need to add broccoli or cauliflower. It's possible you're overdoing the RMs. Maybe... At first I think a lot of people would. We're just soooo happy to be able to have the goodies! My first week or so, I had some really junky ones. But, once I realized that could just have it another day, it calmed down. Plus, after a while I just didn't want to eat every goody I could find in one setting. It wasn't as pleasurable. Another thing to consider, as with any program, calories do count. On some plans they might not count as much or as heavily, but they do count.

Give your appetite time. Mine started to dwindle after the first week. It's a lot smaller now than it was the second, fourth or fifth week. So it's progressive. One of the most important things that I think has happened to me is that I've learned to enjoy the fact that I can "eat normal". That has meant almost as much to me as the weight loss. I know as long as I eat normally, the weight will come off without stress or worry.

I would say, give it another couple of weeks. Look at your protein and fiber intake. Get plenty of water. Eat what you want during your reward meal, but don't overdo it. Just enjoy it. Give your body time.

Yesterday was one of those junky days.... :lol:
cm: Salad with shrimp, broccoli bleu cheese, ranch onions.
cm (I had two): Same as above with a little steak added.
rm: Cheeseburger and fries, sugar free pudding.
Exercise: Nada...
Yesterday, I lived the fat kid's dream...

230 / 230 / 160

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2009 7:49 am 

Shauna do you ever eat Lettuce wrap sandwiches? Maybe this is something you prepare at night and eat during your morning break.

Just take a couple of lettuce leaves and roll sugar free deli meat, chicken chunks, tuna or some other protein, along with chopped cucumbers, broccoli or cauli flower. Maybe even baby spinach. You can also add your favorite dressing. Mustand... mayo... salad dressing.... Or do it with tuna, chicken or egg salad...

230 / 230 / 160

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2009 2:26 pm 

Hi Amanda, Patty and Shauna, (and anyone else reading),
Good to see everyone posting. I have been so busy with work I haven't had much time to do anything besides work and get a little sleep. Someone on the overnight shift quit and they offered bonus incentives for picking up any of those hours, so I've been working till 3 AM. I get pretty tired but I'll be smiling when I see my bank statement.

So, as a consequence of the work schedule I haven't been so dedicated to the CAD as I had planned to be. I didn't get to the store to get supplies, but I've been low carb most of the time. I weighed myself this morning and I'm down 3 pounds since Monday, so I'm still doing pretty good, considering that I HAVE had some carbs in there more than one meal a day.

I have today and tomorrow off work so I'm going to the store and get a few supplies, deli meats and lettuce and green beans etc. I worked till 3 this AM and didn't get up until 11 AM so I'm relaxing for a bit and answering emails etc.
Tomorrow I'm going to the pool for some exercise, and I'm thinking that I'll make that part of my day, just like going to work, I'll go to the pool every day at 10 AM.

My Blood sugar was 298 Monday and it was 135 at 4 AM today, 149 fasting at noon today and I just took it 2 hrs after breakfast and it was 148, so it's coming down nicely.

Amanda, your suggestion of lettuce wraps is a wonderful idea. I used them so much when I was on the CAD years ago. It satifies that crunch feeling I like in foods too.
I also make a scrambled egg dish and put it in small containers and you can take pne of them to work and pop it in the microwave to warm it up. I use lean sausage that one of the local stores makes, egg whites and a couple whole eggs or egg substitute, green pepper, some split cherry tomatoes, and if you like, some shredded cheddar. Careful with the tomatoes, .... not too many, but I love them with eggs.

Shauna, I feel hungry a lot of the time too, but it has been diminishing these past couple days. I think a lot of it is habit for me, ... I live alone and I guess I just got used to eating for any reason, sometimes no reason other than boredom, and consequently I think about eating a lot of the time, but, if I stop and think, "Am I really hungry, or just bored," it's usually that I have an overactive fork and need to think before I grab. I am definitely a carbohydrate addict. 1 1/2 to 2 hours after eating anything with carbs in it and I'm starving again. Then the sleepies hit me and I feel like I can't lift one foot in front of the other. I have so much more energy on this way of eating.

I better shut up and get off here. Everyone have a great day! More later, ..... Burty

beginning BMI = 44.3; current BMI = 42.9
HT; 5'3", Age; 65.
clothes SZ. = 22-24, 3X

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2009 3:42 pm 

burtgrl wrote:
Shauna, I feel hungry a lot of the time too, but it has been diminishing these past couple days. I think a lot of it is habit for me, ... I live alone and I guess I just got used to eating for any reason, sometimes no reason other than boredom, and consequently I think about eating a lot of the time, but, if I stop and think, "Am I really hungry, or just bored," it's usually that I have an overactive fork and need to think before I grab. I am definitely a carbohydrate addict. 1 1/2 to 2 hours after eating anything with carbs in it and I'm starving again. Then the sleepies hit me and I feel like I can't lift one foot in front of the other. I have so much more energy on this way of eating.

That's so much like me! Oftentimes I would eat just because it was "time to eat". Sometimes I'd just want to eat because something was there, but not out of hunger. Boredom... yep! Me too. I would also get hungry again after eating. Especially if the meal was high simple carb / low protein.

One of the things I'm loving is the way this WOE puts my insulin in check. Over the weekend my boyfriend took me to breakfast. I was nervous because breakfast foods can be the worst for me. I was fine after eating it though. Even hours later. I won't make a practice of making breakfast my reward meal, but it becomes doable after a while.

Congrats on the diminishing blood sugar level!! That is happy, happy news! It makes me feel good to know that a person can change the state of his or her health just by changing diet. It doesn't always have to be about the medicine.

230 / 230 / 160

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2009 6:15 pm 

Great to hear from both of you! Ok, I have to reply point by point so I don't forget anything....

Amanda, I'm probably not getting enough fibre in my CM. Protein should be fine as I eat a lot of eggs or tuna for at least one and sometimes both of my CM. Time permitting, I'll eat a couple of hard boiled eggs before dashing out the door in the morning. NOT the idea way to eat but sometimes that's what I have to do. It's probably better to do that than to eat deli meat with possible hidden sugars at 10am! Today I took 2oz of cheddar and ate that at around 9 and wasn't starving at lunch. I had a fairly balanced CM (ham, 2c salad with cuke, another 1.5oz of cheddar -- yes, will really have to watch cheese intake, was just desperate -- and 2 tbsp of salad dressing. I was ok in terms of hunger until shortly after 5.

I drink 160oz of water each day. I have a 32oz water bottle and I drink at least 5 of them every day. I eat no sugarfree candies or mints. There was honestly nothing that could account for a possible insulin release other than possibly the stevia or if the deli meat has hidden sugar.

So, I'm looking at the allowable veggies. I guess I'll have to google which of them are higher in fibre. How much fibre would you suggest per CM? Like... a cup of cauliflower? Along with a tossed salad? Sometimes I feel so dense. :roll:

Thanks for the reminder about lettuce wraps. I could probably do that easily enough. Seriously going to have to remember to take a toothbrush to work. I hate eating and then not being able to chew gum to mask any possible icky breath!

Wow, Burty, great job on the sugar numbers! In Canada we use a different sysem for measuring blood sugar so I'm assuming that dropping yours in half is really good!

I think that I'm actually feeling real hunger. When I do Atkins (as opposed to CAD) I am hungry far less often. Until I experience the dwindling appetite loss, I'm worried when I get hungry because I can't just have a low carb snack. I must wait until my meal time which could be an hour away still. I do have hope that this is temporary, though.

I also realize that far too much of my thinking revolves around food right now. I hate that. I look forward to the day when it isn't something that is frequently on my mind. I hate being a slave to food. (What am I going to eat?? What can I have?? What if I'm still hungry?? What if I get delayed while doing something and have nothing to eat?? How can I go to that party/get-together/family function without being singled out for what I'm eating or not eating?? Will there even BE anything that I can eat?? These are questions that I ask myself all the time and it drives me bonkers.)

Good luck getting all your supplies, Burty. I know I find life so much easier if I have readily available menu items.

I wanted to paste something I found this morning that I think might be beneficial to all of us, at some time or another:

Any one of these can cause you to stall, crave and/or gain weight.

1. Eating more than 4 times a day.
2. Drinking coffee with cream and/or AS more than once a day outside your RM or taking more than 15 minutes to drink that once a day coffee with cream and/or AS.
3. Eating too much cheese at CMs--more than 2 ounces.
4. Artificial sugar during the day or at CM.
5. Diet Soda during the day outside your RM.
6. LC recipes or lc products during CM.
7. Exceeding 4 carbs per CM exclusive of listed foods.
8. Too much fat at CMs.
9. Hidden carbs/sugars, fillers.
10. Using net carb theory.
11. Atkins allowed vegetables that aren't on the CM list.
12. Vegetables that aren't on the CM list.
13. Trigger foods at CM--MSG, broccoli, green/red peppers, cottage cheese, onions, AS, pork rinds.
14. Allergen/sensitive foods at CM/RM-- sugar, wheat, dairy, cheese, eggs.
15. Not enough protein. Try for at least 12 ounces.
16. Flavored waters.
17. Salad dressings with more than 2 carbs per serving.
18. Nuts, bars, shakes, mock danish, pork rinds.
19. Unbalanced, wildly unbalanced, or carb binging RMs.
20. Gum and breath mints.
21. SF Metamucil or fiber outside CM/RM.
22. Exceeding the 60 minute RM rule by even a few minutes.

Hopefully some of these will be helpful. Have a great night and I'll check in again tomorrow!

200/173/155
5' 9" F 38
S 09/03/07
Restarted April 27/09
203/187.6/155

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2009 7:04 pm 

mykidsruleme wrote:
I also realize that far too much of my thinking revolves around food right now. I hate that. I look forward to the day when it isn't something that is frequently on my mind. I hate being a slave to food. (What am I going to eat?? What can I have?? What if I'm still hungry?? What if I get delayed while doing something and have nothing to eat?? How can I go to that party/get-together/family function without being singled out for what I'm eating or not eating?? Will there even BE anything that I can eat?? These are questions that I ask myself all the time and it drives me bonkers.)

Me too! I actually fear being hungry. Constantly my thoughts were of food. All day long. Before I could even finish one meal, I'd be thinking about another. I would worry about it, crave it, be afraid to let too much time go before having it again.

I know I must sound like an infomercial, but "Until Carb Addicts..." :lol:

Today, I had a bit of an experiment...

I had already discovered that the emptiness I feel in my stomach first thing in the morning goes away with coffee and half & half. Then I'm usually fine until between 1pm and 3pm. So, ordinarily I have two meals a day. Well, today I felt a bit hungry around 4:30, but drank water. Then 5:30 rolled around and I figured I'd wait until my boyfriend got home to eat. I ended up eating at 8 tonight.

First of all, I doubt if I'll ever do it again (on purpose), because I want to keep my metabolism revved up, but I found that I wasn't in the type of panic I'd normally be in over eating. I just didn't care about it. Now, granted I was REALLY ready at 7:15, but we didn't leave until 7:30 to get food.

It's just nice to know that I'm getting to the point where I don't care about food as much, all the time. Of course there are still days, usually because of my cycle, that I eat waaaay too much. Or crave like mad, but this is such an improvement over times past that it's just amazing.

I think that the lack of insulin spikes is not only allowing me to curb my hunger, but also help me deal with my food frenzy issues. I can deal with the psychological issues, because the hunger issues are going away.

Just thought I'd share that... lol

Shauna, I'd go with broccoli or cauliflower. I know the Carb Addict's Diet book said to leave it for the rm. The Lifespan book said it was okay for the cm, but to keep an eye on it. I'm biased though. I like broccoli and cauliflower because they're convenient to buy already washed and chopped. Btw, I'd go with a leafy lettuce like romaine. Iceburg doesn't have much nutritional value, and is lower in fiber. Also, whenever you can, try using baby spinach in place of lettuce for your salads. Not if you're anything like me though. I always forget to use it right away and it goes bad... :roll: Just my two cents...

230 / 230 / 160

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2009 6:03 am 

Good morning! Thanks for the quick reply, Amanda. I agree that the psychological food issues will probably become more in check when the cravings and hunger are more under control. Another day I look forward to!

I rarely eat iceburg lettuce. I'll have to get some baby spinach for my lunch salads. Right now it's usually romaine. I'm going to start eating the broccoli and cauliflower for lunches, too. Bring on the fibre!

I'm up .4lbs this morning (it's weigh in day on the Weight Loss Challenge thread) but it's day one of TOM so I was expecting that. I'm also expecting the cravings, moodiness and cramps that go along with it.... lol.

200/173/155
5' 9" F 38
S 09/03/07
Restarted April 27/09
203/187.6/155

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2009 7:16 am 

Good Morning Shauna, Amanda and Patty,(and all who follow)
Do any of you get heartburn from lettuce??? If I have lettuce once a day I'm usually OK, but, anymore than that and I get heartburn.
I've narrowed it down through elimination. Having a whole salad, then eliminating one ingredient each time I had a salad until I was down to just lettuce, and that was it. I do have a salad many times of just the other ingredients and eliminate the lettuce. People look at me like I have an extra hole in my head when I say lettuce gives me heartburn, but, it does. So, I have my raw veggies and dressing earlier in the day and save my big old chefs salad for supper. I know you're suppose to have salad with the CM, but, I don't think it'll hurt to have the other veggies and leave the lettuce out, do you?

Got my stuff all ready to go to the pool and then shopping for my supplies. More later, ..... Burty

HT; 5'3", Age; 65.
clothes SZ. = 22-24, 3X

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2009 7:38 am 

Actually... I vaguely recall my oldest brother telling me that lettuce gives him heartburn. I don't know if it's all lettuce or just one type of it. I'll find out...

Actually, it doesn't have to be a salad with cm. Just some fibrous veggies. A couple of times I've run into kfc and had the baked chicken and green beans.

Good morning ladies!!

Today I'm getting off my hiney early. Well, earlier than usual... :lol: As soon as I'm done with my coffee, I'm going to the park and knock out my walk/jog. It's getting better. I'm starting to notice that I have to pace myself. If I go too fast, I can't run as far. But, at the same time, since I'm getting used to it and feel lighter, I find myself going faster. No fast, mind you. Just faster... :D I'm sure it will work itself out. Mostly, I've having fun though. So, I'm more likely to stick with it. I don't know if I shared this already, but next I want to buy a pair of roller skates (not blades). With pink wheels! lol I want to do the physical stuff that was fun to me as a kid. For me it was running and skating. It still is.

Yesterday was an unusual eating day. I know in the CAD book, it says that you can opt for just the reward meal, with no cm but I have a hard time accepting that. We're always told to keep the metabolism revved up. Here's my deeds though....

rm (only meal) - Whooper (okay, should have been a jr whooper), baked potato with sour cream and sugar free pudding.
Exercise - 1.5 mile jog/walk with dog.

Well, more later... TTYL!!

230 / 230 / 160

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2009 8:06 pm 

I didn't know if they still made roller skates. Pink wheels! Cute! And, if it's something you LIKE to do, you'll stay with it.
How did your run/jog go today? Geez, I wish I could still run. Probably wont ever be able to now, with this hip implant and a bum knee, but, I can still ride a bike! LOL

What did you have for supper? I had a nice chef salad of mixed greens. I was looking for arugula and couldn't find any by itself but there is some in this mix I got.
I got lots of goodies today so I'm set now to stay on track.

I had a busy afternoon, but got accomplished what I wanted to. Except for the pool. I was so mad at them. They are always closing it for something or other and I was fed up so I canceled my membership and went to the Senior Friendship Center and took out a membership there for the Wellness Center. No pool but they have a lot of exercise machines and weights etc, and they're open every day. It's a lot cheaper too.

I had a lean pork roast sandwich for lunch on whole wheat bread and it spiked my blood sugar up to 180. But, after 3 hours of running errands and shopping etc it was down to 114 and 112 two hours after supper, so that made me feel good.

Now I'll keep my journal up to date too.

Hope everyone had a good day! ..... Burty

HT; 5'3", Age; 65.
clothes SZ. = 22-24, 3X

Post subject: WHERE IS EVERYONE???
PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2009 12:06 am 

Hi Everyone! How have your days been going? Amanda, are you still jogging? My co-worker tonight is named Amanda too.

Patty and Shauna, how goes it?

I had a good day with no cheats and plenty of exercise. Worked my butt off at work. That's what I like, ... just keep busy and keep going and going. It tires me out, yet I feel good afterwards.

I'll keep checking back to see if anyone pops in. Have a good day! .....

HT; 5'3", Age; 65.
clothes SZ. = 22-24, 3X

Post subject: Sunday 7-19-09
PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2009 8:32 pm 

Good Evening!
I had another good day today albeit with not a lot of exercise except for a little housework, but I'll be on an 8-day stretch at work this coming week, so I'll get plenty of exercise! :roll:

I had my turkey sausage links again for breakfast along with a cooked egg and coffee.
Lunch was a little of the scrambled egg bake with cheese and supper was a baked chicken breast that had been marinated in low cal italian dressing, and fresh green beans made with a little bacon and a glass of Crystal Light. B S was 108 2 hrs after supper, .... not bad!

Hope everyone is doing good! I'll check back later, .....

HT; 5'3", Age; 65.
clothes SZ. = 22-24, 3X

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 85 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next